Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just picked up my first bike a little over a week ago! I'm already in love. It's a 2006 SV650 naked that I found with only 690 miles in great condition and I couldn't be happier. I've been snooping around on here for the past week and finally mustered up the courage to make my first post. I'm new to the whole motorcycle thing and even newer to forums and web sites like this. So far I love it, the amount of information is amazing. I don't know the first thing about mechanics but I am excited to learn and work on my bike. I ordered some sliders from SV-racing-parts but don't even have any tools to put them on = / Anyone have any suggestion for a good starter set of tools for a noob who has nothing? Any other advise would also be greatly appreciated = )

Let me know if your from or around the Westchester/Fairfield area and wanna meet up for a ride.

-Blonde

·
Chief Greeter
28,485 Posts
Hi Mr.Blonde, Nice bike.

To remove the bolt / nut for the sliders you'll need a 6 point metric socket set, breaker bar and a torque wrench.

Have fun and ride safe!

:fiddy:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Welcome!
I'd recommend a 3/8" drive socket wrench & metric sockets, and a 3/8" drive torque wrench. And download a shop manual. Tells you how tight all the nuts & bolts need to be. Someone here will tell you where to get it, or you could search.
If you're new to riding, sure hope you've had training, and practice a lot where there's no traffic.
There's a terrific thread here, just started today with lots of GREAT safe riding tips.
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=98943

Happy riding!

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
My bike looks like yours, except it's blue. Red is a great color for SV's.

There are lots of good tools out there. If you've got the scratch, I'd look at Craftsman, Indestro, Williams, Proto... any of the quality brands. With the good tools, you buy them once and that's it. With some of the low price tools, you may find they're not the bargain they looked like.

Pawn shops have good deals on tools. You can pick up name brand tools at reasonable prices. Shop around.

Oh yea, welcome to SVR!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. Downloading the shop manual is an amazing idea... didn't think of that. Thanks!

-blonde

1 - 5 of 5 Posts