Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, New to all this. I'm 53 years young, never been on a street bike .Got my motorcycle permit in june, motorcycle safety course in june and bought a 2005 sv650s with 14000 km at the beginning of july and have now put 1000 km in 1 month. I find that this is an absolutly great beginer bike. I did alot of reasearch on this bike and found that it was a great fit. But i must say that i was a little bit let down by the threads on new beginer bikes. One of the instructors at the motorcycle safety course had an sv and stated it is a good starter bike as long as you respect the machine and grow into it. So far the sv has been an easy adaptation and it is very controlable.

Cheers Dano

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Well, you've already bought an SV. So, what was your question?

Oh, yeah. The SV as a beginner bike. Do a seach here and you'll see it's been debated to death. I think the consensus is that the SV is not a terrible beginner bike, but there are bettter choices. The SV has very quick steering, a very on/off throttle that is difficult to modulate, and a touchy rear brake.

It's very easy for a beginner to oversteer, grab too much throttle, stomp the brake, and dump it. So, don't do that.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
I wish I had started riding at a younger age - I was almost 55 when I finally started. Been averaging about 13K miles/year since then! The SV is a great bike!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
^+1
I started much earlier in my life journey, but it's a great bike for any who respect dangerous machines/hobbies appropriately, even for beginners.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm 43 and just started this season. The SV is my first bike and I've found it fairly forgiving. I've gotten the throttle down pretty much. I think it's been awesome for me. I never forget the power it has and respect it.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
35 Posts
I also just bought an SV as my starter bike per my boyfriend's recommendation. He's been riding for a long time, I've just started within the past few weeks. I'm used to being a passenger on the back...it's quite different being the one in control. I've found the throttle touchy because I have very small hands and I have to reach forward to grab the front brake, and when I squeeze back I seem to rev the throttle a bit (luckily, I've always been on the clutch when I do it.)

Enjoy!

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Oh jeez, hurry up and get laid so you can concentrate while riding. :vroom:

(OK, at least I didn't use the old "That'll buff right out" line :jerkbag:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts