Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi SV community, my name is Jaime and I am the proud owner of a 2002 SV650S in electric blue :) The bike is currently not working but I have big hopes someday in the future it will! I would like to change the break lines and other things that will make the bike stronger and better than she is now. I am hoping that here in the Forums I will find recommendations towards future updates. Best!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Welcome JaimeB, what issues are you having with the SV? I'm willing to guess it's carb-related... ;)
Brake upgrades are a great place to start on modding, once you get it running of course. There are a lot of knowledgeable folk here willing to help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome JaimeB, what issues are you having with the SV? I'm willing to guess it's carb-related... ;)
Brake upgrades are a great place to start on modding, once you get it running of course. There are a lot of knowledgeable folk here willing to help.
Hi thedrewski86! the carbs are actually ok, I had a lot of batterie issues in the past and one mechanic told me the bike had a electrical issue, but basically did not fix much, then the bike chain broke while riding one day and so I parked for 2 years?

I would like to change the back and from spokets
New chain
the radiator switch sensor is broken I order one in amazon $77!!
I want new stainless steal break lines
New radiator hoses, the radiator had a problem also I had to replace the rubber seal.
The battery is death, I have a lithium battery and I ordered a charger, so expensive!

A few other things, but i would like to do it myself since I haven't had any luck with my last mechanic here in Brooklyn! Best!

·
Registered
739 Posts
If you had electrical problems and a toasted battery, look into upgrading your regulator/rectifier to a mosfet style. The original one on the first-gen was awful. There are tons of threads here related to the r/r upgrade. Good luck!

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
437 Posts
Welcome Jaime. Double what drewski said. Also, get a hold of a service manual. It will be invaluable. And you said the carbs are ok, but it sat for two years. I hope you drained the fuel from the tank and carbs before you stored it. Otherwise the carbs are probably gunky.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome Jaime. Double what drewski said. Also, get a hold of a service manual. It will be invaluable. And you said the carbs are ok, but it sat for two years. I hope you drained the fuel from the tank and carbs before you stored it. Otherwise the carbs are probably gunky.
I think you are right, I didn't empty the tank at all, but cleaning the carbs seems daunting, one more thing! Here are some pictures of the bike finally indoors!

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
437 Posts
Nice looking bike Jaime. I've always liked the blue. Cleaning the carbs is not that big of a deal. I cleaned mine three times before I found out rust in the tank was my problem. I cleaned and sealed the tank and the problems went away.

Zipteck, an old SVR member, did a write up on cleaning the carbs I recommend often.
Dangers of a Lo-Carb Diet

Also, as Drew said, your electrical issue may be a blown RR. I understand they can cause expensive damage in certain circumstances. I replaced mine with a mofset following @Straticus 's instructions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice looking bike Jaime. I've always liked the blue. Cleaning the carbs is not that big of a deal. I cleaned mine three times before I found out rust in the tank was my problem. I cleaned and sealed the tank and the problems went away.

Zipteck, an old SVR member, did a write up on cleaning the carbs I recommend often.
Dangers of a Lo-Carb Diet

Also, as Drew said, your electrical issue may be a blown RR. I understand they can cause expensive damage in certain circumstances. I replaced mine with a mofset following @Straticus 's instructions.
Thanks Geo Smith, I am going to look into the mofset and the carb link, thanks guys for all the help from the sv community, great looking bike great looking owners out there ! Best!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts