Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, as you can tell I am new to the forum. I have a KLr650 right now but plan on getting a sv when this beasts paid off. My question is, I'm a 6'2 255 pound guy. Will the sv650 have enough "oompf" to get me going where I want to? Someone once told me not to get the sv1000 cause it's overkill. Is this true? THanks all.

·
Chief Greeter
28,537 Posts
Hi ccross, Welcome to SVR. Should be okay, there are some big guys here that ride SV's. ;)

Have fun and ride safe!

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Depends what you are looking for, but if you're happy overall with your KLR, you will be very pleased with the SV650. The 650 is more nimble than the 1000; but the 1000 does have more power. Either will stomp a KLR.

The suspensions on either the 650 or the 1000 will be too light for you, though. Plan on swapping in heavier fork springs and a stiffer shock.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Soft = you won't be able to set the proper sag, you will get a lot of front-end dive on hard braking, and a pogo-stick effect when hitting larger bumps. It will be rideable, but not optimal.

Most every Japanese bike suffers from this, though. It seems most were desinged for 150-lb Japanses men. The difference is, the SV was designed for 120-lb Japanese girls.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I test rode a 650 in Colorado and felt that it wasn't enough power, (6'1" and 200 lbs + altitude). This steered me toward the 1000 which I bought last year now living in GA. I love it. It is more power, but not overwhelming like the 1k supersports. The only gripe I have is the "flickability" or lack there of. My buddy rides a 650 which I have ridden every once in a while, and it is definitely more maneuverable in tight situations. Don't get me wrong, the 1k is no slouch... just requires more thought in the twisties.

·
Registered
30 Posts
650 is plenty big, it has more power than the klr just about everywhere, and its geared well for it. I'm the same height, and weigh more, and I love mine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts