Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I'm a new rider, and new owner of a yellow 2005 sv650 that i love already! I've been reading your past posts, and they're so helpful-thanks.

My question: the tip of my brake lever snapped off (due to a rookie parking job). I ordered a new lever off of ebay. Are there any tricks to replacing these little guys?

Thanks
Liz

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Not really. Pretty much a remove the mounting (pivot) bolt, and replace with the new lever. It may take a little wiggling to get it in the proper position, but it's a simple job.

Welcome to the site, btw. :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Very easy.
1. remove the nut from under the brake lever's handlebar bracket.
2.remove the bolt that holds the lever in the bracket. the lever should be released and will probably pop out.
3. put a bit of white grease (available at any autoparts store) on the bolt, put the new lever in place, screw in the bolt and put the nut back on.

Should take all of five minutes.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it's a aftermarket (non-OEM) lever you might want to compare the two levers before you install it to make sure everything is identical, particularly where the lever contact the piston. Some of the aftermarket ones can be somewhat less than perfect.

:)

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips---

As far as aftermarket parts-have you had any luck with JC Whitney?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't used JC Whitney in years. Most of their stuff is cheap Chinese crap, although you can occasionally get brand name stuff there. For OEM parts try Ron Ayers, Oneida or Bike Bandit. Most of this list is accessory dealers, although there are some others thrown in.

·
Registered
90 Posts
When my bike decided, all on it's own, that it wanted off my rear stand, :oops: it broke the brake lever. I had a hell of a time finding an aftermarket one that fit right. As a previous poster said, they all seemed to be a little off. I mean they would have worked, but the lever was contacting the master cylinder piston a little off of centre, which could eventually have worn a hole in the rubber boot. (confused yet as to what the hell I'm talking about?)

Anyway, I finally found that the Lockhart Phillips brake lever for the SV (and also the 1998 to 2000 GSXR 600) fits perfectly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts