Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well like it says im new to the BB because im thinkin about gettin an SV650S for my first bike. Maybe you guys can say yay or nay to the idea or maybe give some good webpages for info on them(besides this one of course). Anywho anyhelp is appreciated.

Oh yeah and, hello.

-N3rd

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
DrummerDaveB said:
Welcome to the site.

1) Take the MSF.
2) Get a used SV (or something smaller like a GS500, EX250, EX500, etc)
3) Get frame sliders BEFORE you ride it.
4) Be careful.
+1. I couldn't agree more on getting a used bike first. You *will* drop it, if the bike is pretty and new this will make you very sad.
Get good gear to; helmet, jacket & gloves at least... boots and some type of riding pants are good to have too. Road rash sucks really, really bad!

·
Registered
14 Posts
DrummerDaveB said:
Welcome to the site.

1) Take the MSF.
4) Be careful.
Honestly you guys, we have to teach those who are new to protect themselves before the bike. I admit Motosliders are a necessity (I have them) but not before good gear (I purchased all my gear first). I am interested to hear from those who think otherwise.

1) Take the MSF.
2a) Get good quality gear.
4) Be careful.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i have all of my gear because i had to take the MSF and my dads stuff was too big. So i threw down quite a bit of cash on gear. I have everything except a full face helmet and a decent set of pants. Im looking at spening around 4k-5k on a nice svs. Like i said i have my MSF cert so now i just need a bike!

Im located just outside of sacramento, ca in a tiny town called el dorado hills. Really good riding most of the year so i decided to get a decent used bike and i sat on an sv and fell in love. So yeah thats my reason for being here just get some tips on the bike prior to buying it.

P.S. Anything in particular known to go bad on these? Because i will be buying one used i want to make sure there arent any defects with it that i may miss. Thanks again for the help.

-Chad

·
Registered
397 Posts
heh if your a complete newbie, YOU WILL DROP IT!!! :-D My first bike was a katana 600 and i dropped that thing ALL the damn time...most of the time not even moving, that was a heavy bitch. I'd suggest getting something smaller then the SV650S like the ones listed above. Those area cheaper to drop then the sv, and besides, dropping your sv hurts all over svs out there :-( like mine!!! just get a beater bike like a ex250 or 500 to practice on then move up to a sv.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you would be interested in a new sv and you play your cards right you might be able to pick up a brand new leftover for right at 5000or just a little over then you would be getting a new bike.
i picked mine up for 5000 plus the 6 percent sales tax here in indiana. if you have a local suzuki dealer go talk to them and ask them to run a locator and find you one, If any dealer within 200 miles has one they would be MORE than happy to get rid of it because they are paying floring on it. hope you enjoy yours as much as i do mine. ;) By the way i know there are still brand new 03 sv here in indiana but I dont know about the rest of the country.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm darkershade ill look into that. But i think for my first bike i kinda want a used one. But if i can find a good deal on a new one then i may think twice.

Orangegilly: Yeah the weather is awesome and like i said there is all sorts of riding.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its a first bike so i dont forsee myself doin any wheelies in the near future. Although that is something good to know while lookin at used ones. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I wish I would have spent 6 months on a smaller bike before I bought my first bike (a well used ZX6)

You can pick up a 250 or 500 for 1500-2000 ride it for just a couple of months (1-2k miles) and you will be much less likely to hurt your more expensive sv. Also, the resale is great on the "beginner" bikes. I have known people who rode used 250s for 6 months and made a profit when they sold them.

Either way you decide to go, you'll love your SV.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts