Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to the SV650, for that matter I'm new to motorcycle riding. I'm interested in purchasing a used 2003 SV650 and have a couple of questions that I'm hoping the experience folks can answer. The SV650 that I'm interested in has 6500 miles on it and has been in a public garage its entire life. The owner said that the bike has never seen rain. My first question is 6500 miles a lot of miles for a 2003? The asking price is $4200 but I'm hoping to get it for $3800. Is this a decent price? The bike is clean except for some small scratches on the front fender and what looks like a large key scrap on top of the gas tank. The owner said that some neighborhood kids took a key to the bike. The bike doesn't look like its been dropped, everything is original. The second thing I notice was the bar end on the throttle was a little bent downward. I notice this also on a new 2005 SV650. Is this normal and can it be fixed. The last thing that caught my eye was that I noticed no oil in the oil eye piece near the crank. The bike was on when I notice this so I'm not sure if I should see oil in the eye piece. I believe the owner when he said the bike has never been dropped. The scratch on the gas tank couldn't have happen from dropping the bike and the bent bar end is pointing downward which I would think if the bike was dropped it would point upwards. Anyway, I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
171 Posts
vertigo2112 said:
I'm new to the SV650, for that matter I'm new to motorcycle riding.  I'm interested in purchasing a used 2003 SV650
First off, welcome and good choice!

My first question is 6500 miles a lot of miles for a 2003?  The asking price is $4200 but I'm hoping to get it for $3800.  Is this a decent price? 
No, that isn't alot of miles. Mine's a 2003 and I have 18000km (11000 miles approx.) As far as the price, that sounds pretty reasonable to me.

The second thing I noticed was the bar end on the throttle was a little bent downward.  I notice this also on a new 2005 SV650.  Is this normal and can it be fixed.
That shoudn't be a problem, you should be able to take the screw out and bend it back to straight very easily.

The last thing that caught my eye was that I noticed no oil in the oil eye piece near the crank.  The bike was on when I notice this so I'm not sure if I should see oil in the eye piece. 
If the bike is on the kickstand, you shouldn't see any oil in the eye piece. The bike needs to be straight up and down to check it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
That sounds like a fair price to me. That is about what i paided for a 03 with 3000mi. 6500mi isn't anything for these bikes.

I am with Kevin on all the other questions. If the bike is running no matter what position the bike is in it won't show oil in the viewer.

Also welcome to the board.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
be sure to ask him what kind of maintenance he's done on the bike, and if he has any documentation.

also...a good idea to ask him about wheelies. be subtle about it, something like "I bet this thing can wheelie really good, huh? how easy is it to wheelie?" It's well known that the SV doesnt do well with lots of prolonged wheelies. It starves the front cylinder of oil, and can eventually lead to engine failure. So if he starts talking about stunting every weekend and making 3 mile long wheelies, I'd pass ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your reply. Well, I'm a proud owner of a silver 2003 sv650. Things it need right now is an oil change, new tires and a bath.

·
Registered
24 Posts
About the bar end bent..........When I got my 05 I had to bring it back to the dealer because the black piece on the front brake side bar end kept bending on me(some sort of weight the dealer told me). They adjusted it and it has been good ever since. Sometimes I lean on it when riding and it bends a little but I just bend it back when I'm done for the day.......it seems spring loaded

Hope this is what you are talking about !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts