Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,

I just got a 05 SV1000s and put my first 100 miles on it. I'm new to riding but took the beginner MSF course and learned quite a bit. I have heard that having a 1000 is suicide for my first bike but I got a great deal and have been pretty much keeping it to the side streets and the parking lot where I have been practicing. I plan to get out on the roads in the next few weeks and the highway in the next few months when I get comfortable. Any thoughts, suggestions, or tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks
I'm in the DFW area in Cedar Hill, TX

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
I have heard that having a 1000 is suicide for my first bike but I got a great deal
:roflmao:I'm not gonna even comment.

If you're an idiot, you can make a "suicide bike" out of a CB175. If you ride and learn, you'll be OK. Welcome to riding.
Ride well and be happy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks i'm taking it slow and only recently ventured down a country road and back home with a little light traffic. it was fun and scary all at the same time.

·
Chief Greeter
28,482 Posts
Hi terril00, Welcome to SVR. Practice and ride all you can to get used to the bike and riding.

Have fun and ride safe!

·
Registered
30 Posts
welcome to the addiction! while an sv1000 isn't always the best option, it's better than any of the I4 liter bikes for sure

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Welcome! Be careful and practice all you can in empty parking lots, at least if you fall down you don't have to worry about a car running over you.

Also, +1 to what eddie said.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Welcome!

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Welcome to the site and to riding. Take it slow and keep your ego in check and you should be fine.

Most people say it's not a matter of IF you'll crash but WHEN. That statement still keeps me on my toes and cautious.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for a ll of the advice. I have a jacket, gloves and HJC helmet for equipment and always ride with it. There is a parking lot that is usually empty that i practice in and have been doing so for 2 weeks now. I'm thinking of taking my first ride down a long country road today i'll have to let you guys know how it goes.

·
Chief Greeter
28,482 Posts
Thanks for a ll of the advice. I have a jacket, gloves and HJC helmet for equipment and always ride with it. There is a parking lot that is usually empty that i practice in and have been doing so for 2 weeks now. I'm thinking of taking my first ride down a long country road today i'll have to let you guys know how it goes.
Sounds good, I didn't see you mention any footwear?

Might want to look into some. ;)

So terril00, How did your ride go?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the ride went really well. I went out for about 3 hours and went 60 miles with a break every hour to rest. it was really fun and discovered my next door neighbor has been riding for 20 years and he went with me and gave me a lot of tips. We only had one scare when a car got in front of me and slammed on the brakes but I managed to swerve out of the way. I'm glad I had practiced that morning. For footwear I have a set of steal toe work boots and I do have frame sliders on the bike. I only got them 2 days to late. The very first day I had the bike out and was practicing and the front wheel locked up and it tipped over. I only broke the right turn signal light and no other major damage. I'll have to take some pictures and put em up.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
congrats!! that counts as a crash!! lolo

as long as you respect the bike, you SHOULD be fine, the minute you don't respect it, BAM!!!

and remember, your right wrist IS connected to your BRAIN!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts