Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,

i am new to the sport. i took a trip in Asia a few years back and rode an automatic clutch 125cc bike around parts of Thailand which served as my introduction and now have the money to take the full plunge. i am in the process of getting my license and am looking forward to getting out there!

i have a question about the SV650 and touring. eventually i would like to do some touring in North America and due to its great reviews and accessibility to novice riders have been interested in getting an SV650. i noticed that even though this bike is naked it got pretty good touring reviews over at bikez.com. one of the reasons i am interested in this bike is the relativey upright riding position, as due to some shoulder tendinitis i want to stay away from the 650s and similar sportbikes which due to their more hunched positioning stress your shoulders and forearms more.

my question is i have noticed that some things i have read  have stated that bikes such as the sv650 and honda 599 aren't the best for touring due to the lack of fairing and wind protection. this wasn't a problem in Asia but to be fair (no pun intended) i was only going about 90k an hour(about 55mph). i was hoping you experienced SV riders could give some insight into this if possible..it would be much appreciated! thanks :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Naked SV works fine for touring. I did a few weekend trips on mine before I installed a fairing, it was okay but a bit tiring for me up to about 70-75 mph on an all day ride. I have since added a GIVI 760 fairing and now there is no problem at all. All day at 80 is fine. The 760 came in the correct blue for my '03, but the 755 is just a little smaller, would have been my first choice if the color had been right.
I also went up 1 tooth on the countershaft sprocket; lowered rpm about 500 or so at 70mph, improved gas mileage about 5-7%.
If it had been available in '03 I likely would have bought the DL650 V-Strom. More Even more upright seating, fairing, and 1 gal or so more fuel.
You will likely get a lot of ideas on this, several folks do tour on the SV.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I've done around a 550 mile day on my naked '99.  It has a Givi windscreen (A760/750...I can't remember) and the stock seat on it and I was perfectly comfortable.  Well, OK, by the time I hit the final 3 hour leg of interstate travel, I was hurting, but it wasn't because of the wind.  Mostly my long legs were getting sore (ankles/knees), but I just put them up on the frame sliders to stretch out once in a while and I was OK.  Weather protection sucks, obviously, and so dress appropriately.  The morning of the 550 mile day, it was in the mid 30's when I left, but with heated grips, full leathers, and good warm under clothes, I was golden.  

Power is fine for 1 up tours in the mountains (I weigh 140 though), and I've never had a problem on the I-state.  It'll cruise at 75-80 with plenty of grunt to pass/get out of the way.  

·
Registered
114 Posts
Dont worry about the wind. worry about your butt! :eek: Do yourself a favor, If you are going to spend more than an hour in the saddle buy a nice comfy aftermarket seat. Your 'roids will thank you.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
ribbon_cable said:
Dont worry about the wind. worry about your butt! :eek: Do yourself a favor, If you are going to spend more than an hour in the saddle buy a nice comfy aftermarket seat. Your 'roids will thank you.
Humm after hours in my stock seat my ass feels just great. And as to the wind protection you can get mini fairings for added wind protection but unless your over 80mph it's not really needed. And the V-twins low power band range is better for 30-50mph riding in city traffic or unfamiliar country roads.

:)

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Similar to above comments, change the seat. Don't spend the big $$ on an aftermarket seat. Change the foam from the stock brick to high density automotive quality seat foam. 1" if you have short legs, more if you aren't vertically challenged.

Next buy a decent windshield. I'm using a National Cycles F-16 Tourshield. I've been very happy with it. It deflects most of the wind off your arms as well as your torso. I recently installed a set of DL-650 knuckle guards (bought through Ron Ayers). Highly recommended for cold weather.

Almost every ride I do is somewhat long. Even my commute (post Katrina) is 128 miles round trip. I've done all-day rides with no trouble. The bike is smooth, not buzzy, stable, and reliable.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Depends on what you mean by "touring". If you mean "sport touring" (avoiding interstates and 4 lane highways with focusing on enjoying the ride) then the SV650 works fine. A typical day would be 300-400 miles depending on how often and how long you stop.

On the other hand, if you mean getting across the country as quickly as possible via the most direct route regardless of road type, then I would prefer a larger bike with good wind protection.

Be sure to buy good underwear (i.e.: LD shorts) before investing in a new seat.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I'll add another vote in the "good for touring" category. Back in '99 I did a 3 week, 7000 mile trip on mine. Had a blast.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
These little beauties are good for damn near everything, except maybe singletrack dirt trails. Omnipotent machines.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
meteor said:
If you mean "sport touring" (avoiding interstates and 4 lane highways with focusing on enjoying the ride) then the SV650 works fine.
absolutely this is what i mean, so it sounds like i definitely am barking up the right tree with this machine. 

Thank you kindly everybody for all your responses. i'm taking note of all your suggstions. :)

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
Just a hint on luggage. Your can strap on most soft sidded luggage very easily on the n & s versions. I hav an '05s with nelson-riggs luggage and it holds a tremendous amount of stuff. I also put risers on my s and have done 700mile weekends with little or no problem. Both are great bikes and it is really a matter of personal preference. If you want hard luggage for security and weather capabilities both Givi and Krauser look great on the bike and there is not much difference in price. Good luck on your decision, hope you join the ranks. Sounds like you are taking your research seriously.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts