Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my father's 84 Honda CX650E into our garage, and lightly cleaned.

My Dad passed away 2 months ago and I plan to restore and use his old bike as my street bike as a kind of memorial (the SV's track only now).

It's been sitting since 1994 in a unheated/winterized garage when Dad had an accident that spooked him and he never got back on, so there's going to be lots of work but we'll see how long it takes. First step will be to get the heads off and see what's what with the engine (people claim they're bullet proof in the GL650's) and that should give an indication as to what kind of time frame I'm looking at. Hopefully I'll have it up and running next summer, but in 2014 it'll be 30y old, so that works too.

As it is now:

And thanks to my Dad always being the practical engineer I have the original service manuals and even the parts microfiche! So I'm in better shape than most rebuilds.

And when it was brand new in '84, with my Dad, Sister and myself.

I plan to track the restoration on the build forum:
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160849

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Wow! What a cool picture of you, sis and Dad on the bike. It's like a time capsule.:) I'll bet it cleans up nice. Thanks for sharing this!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thats an awesome looking bike and to know that your father bought it brand new makes it that much more special. I'm sure you will keep it for a very very long time. Keep us updated on the progress

·
Registered
818 Posts
That's a nice looking CX/E. It's a shame it never made it to the States. You might want to check out http://choppercharles.com/, it's a great CX/GL forum with lots of info and helpful members, including a bunch of Canadian owners.

TBH, I seriously doubt that it needs the heads pulled. Do a full 24k mile service, clean the tank & carbs, change the tires and you should be in really good shape.

Sorry you lost your Dad so young.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Dad Bellicose. That is a great picture.

Another website to check is http://cx500forum.com. My neighbor had a GL500 that he and I tried to get running but I think the engine was seized up. That site was a really good source of knowledge and advice for me. I would caution you to be very careful when installing the head bolts. They are a special order item and break easily if you apply an excessive amount of torque. Don't ask me how I know. Good luck to you with the build.

·
Hall Monitor
2,739 Posts
Awesome bike. I'd be willing to bet that all you'll need to do is install a new battery and clean the carbs to get it running. See if you can't get it to turn over- if it won't you'd have a reason to pull the heads, but in the absence of a major problem like that, just leave it alone. Change out the oil, clean out and de-rust the gas tank, bleed the brakes, and find some braided steel lines to replace those age-rotted stock ones. Speaking of rotted rubber, a new set of tires is in order as well. Beyond that, you may not need to do a thing. You'll have a real gem on your hands- a "You don't see one of those every day" bike that's got a deep, personal story to it. Very nice!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Makes me wish I could have found my dads bike after he died. I had the title but it had disappeared and no one knows where it was. Enjoy getting it up and running!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
... I'd be willing to bet that all you'll need to do is install a new battery and clean the carbs to get it running. See if you can't get it to turn over- if it won't you'd have a reason to pull the heads, but in the absence of a major problem like that, just leave it alone. Change out the oil, clean out and de-rust the gas tank, bleed the brakes, and find some braided steel lines to replace those age-rotted stock ones. Speaking of rotted rubber, a new set of tires is in order as well. Beyond that, you may not need to do a thing. You'll have a real gem on your hands- a "You don't see one of those every day" bike that's got a deep, personal story to it. Very nice!
The gas tank and carbs are on the top of the list, the tank is rusting and paint chipped off on the left side and there's bubbling under the paint on the top so that's a no brainer. Once it's off I'll also work on the inside and seal it with Por-15.

The carbs will be interesting as I've only ever dealt with FI but is also high on the list, but there's good walk-through from the GL/CX forums.

The forks and shock might be interesting as well, as they are air pressurized (there's even a small syringe in the tool kit for adding air...).

Getting it safetied and rideable might not be too tough, but I also want to get it too the point where I can keep it for another 30y. And for that I plan to get it down to the frame and work my way up from there.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
You have some work to do!:) But, it looks like you'll end up with something beautiful for sure.

I'd fill the spark plug holes to the top with Kroil (or similar..but Kroil is the best I've found). Let them soak for a few days or weeks. They'll come out in time once the oil creeps along the corrosion bond and loosens it.

I'm envying your project! Will be watching for more installments on your build page.:)

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I had pressurized forks like that on my 83 Nighthawk.
After 20 years or so, I tried pumping them up a bit, but oil started squeezing past the seals.
There was some rust pitting on the tubes that had done the seals no good.
I wound up replacing the tubes and seals and adding stainless braided brake lines.
Bike ran fine other than that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts