Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing new Qualifiers and new HH brake pads all around over the weekend. Any particular break-in procedure required for either? The new tires feel kinda slippery...

·
Registered
126 Posts
For the tires, I'd scrub them down with some dish soap. Cuts through grease pretty well. That and go easy on them until you get the feel for them. The brakes, run the bike to 10 mph and apply the brakes with moderate force. Rinse and repeat a few times alternating between front and rear. Let them cool a bit and then repeat from 20 mph. Same procedure at 30 mph. Continue up to about 40 mph and slow to about 20. All using moderate force. That should bed them correctly and you should be ready to go. I'd be easy on them for the first 50 or so miles and give yourself plenty of braking distance until you're good and confident with them. That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Definitely wash the mold release off. I use BraKleen or similar product. Dish detergent works just fine also.

Decent break in procedure above.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I thought the point of bedding in brake pads was to get the pad hot enough to leave some compound on the rotor? In my car, I always bed them in by doing stops from 70-10mph as fast as possible, till I can smell the pads cooking. Then I let them cool without letting the pads clamp onto one part of the rotor for too long (like sitting stopped at a light)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts