Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a new bike in the next year (better Interest rates, etc). I currently have a 2002 SV650S (silver). Anyone have good reasons they would go for a 2003 (or 2004 when available) SV650S or SV1000S?

I like the SV, I just wish it had a bit more fairing to buff out the wind!

·
Hall Monitor
2,738 Posts
The EFI is supposed to give a stock SV650 the same sort of power you'd get from a seriously hot rodded pre-'03 SV. Now if you can live with the new styling... :roll:

Bill

C

·
0 Posts
Re:

\"bmetz99\" said:
The EFI is supposed to give a stock SV650 the same sort of power you'd get from a seriously hot rodded pre-'03 SV. Now if you can live with the new styling... :roll:

Bill
Looks like more than the EFI, but a bigger air box and better exhaust as well.

I really like the styling of the 03 :twisted:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I like my '03 'cause I am too lazy to mess with the carbs... :twisted: j/k
But seriously... I did like the '02 styling a little better (shh... don't let my baby hear that one!!!) but the '03 kinda grew on me (took about 5 minutes, that!). I went with the '03 SV650S for two reasons: one, I am crazy about wanting to break in a new vehicle so I know it's done right... if it's messed up, I have noone to blame but myself. Two, I liked the way the '03 rode/handled; for some reason, I am much more comfortable on the newer model.

I do plan on picking up an '01 or '02 in the future to modify (on the plus side of the \"older\" style, there's a lot more out there in the way of aftermarket parts for customization... the '03 has a lot less so far).

If you're looking for a nice comfortable, low maintainance ride, the '03 is the way to go... the '02 is also a great ride but takes a little more tweaking from time to time (which I will be the first to admit is part of the fun of owning a motorcycle), and if you're into mods, I would go with that style instead. Just my opinion!

I'm gonna go make sure my baby isn't mad at me now!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ruefus, dude, you always have good insight on stuff like this! :twisted:

I would LOVE to do the track thing, but that means I would have to take my wife to Vegas. I definately don't have that kind of cash!

Part of the reason I am looking to get a new bike is to fix the 11% interest I got stuck with 2 years ago. I can get 5.75% now.

I do like my 02 SVS, which is why it is getting a pipe, jet, and tires right now. The question is do I want to sell it for the $4000 in trade-in that I can get or just keep it and squeeze every mod into it that I can think of.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My take

I just got a 03 SVS. Had a 01 SVS, because of a mass of mistakes in a corner, by yours truly, it was totaled. Looked for a new pre 03 and it turned into a hassle. So when I saw a local dealer selling a new 03 SVS OTD for $5700 I went for it. I can say that the FI makes a huge difference in the rideability (is that a word?? lol). Very smooth. It feels like it has as much power or more as my 01 with a slip-on and shimmed carbs. The fairing on the 03 looks like it would be less effective for deflection but that is not the case. It works better. I still have not gotten giddy about the looks of the 03 yet. Though my wife and daughter both think it looks better. Oh well just my thoughts. Peace.

RobD

Z

·
0 Posts
Re:

\"tige\" said:
Part of the reason I am looking to get a new bike is to fix the 11% interest I got stuck with 2 years ago. I can get 5.75% now.
Will you really be saving any money just from the difference in rates? You've already made 2 years of payments. 5.75% maybe more money on a new bike than 11% on a bike partially paid for. Do the DCF analysis to make sure the difference in rates justifies picking up a new bike. Otherwise, it's just an emotional decision that you'll make regardless of what people say.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re:

\"ZX2SV\" said:
\"tige\" said:
Will you really be saving any money just from the difference in rates? You've already made 2 years of payments. 5.75% maybe more money on a new bike than 11% on a bike partially paid for. Do the DCF analysis to make sure the difference in rates justifies picking up a new bike. Otherwise, it's just an emotional decision that you'll make regardless of what people say.
lol, have you been listening to Suzie Ormond ? :lol:

E

·
0 Posts
People with first generation SVs who are curious about the second generation SV650(S)s should call around to all the dealerships in your area and see if any of them do demo rides (helps if you're a bit older i suppose too) OR...try and find someone with a '03 and buddy up to 'em a bit.

I started talking with a guy who had a 02 SVs who i had seen riding with this certain group every friday and saturday night, after a few weekends I asked him if he wanted to swap bikes and take a ride around the block. I was curious to see how mine felt to an '02 and he wanted to see about the '03s. I wouldn't suggest either person pushing the bikes hard (which we didnt) and from the short ride it felt to me like the 03 had a bit more punch to it, 03 has a harder seat, easier to read the 03 tach/speedo, 03 suspenion felt a stiffer...

Any SV riders in the KC area want to go for a ride sometime, PM me

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re:

\"CFar\" said:
\"bmetz99\" said:

Bill
Looks like more than the EFI, but a bigger air box and better exhaust as well.

I really like the styling of the 03 :twisted:
Don't forget the hotter cams, too. And lighter connecting rods.

E

·
0 Posts
the airbox inceased from 5.8 liters to 8.5 liters. That seems like a good size increase, I wonder if you can still do the snorkel ectomy on the 03s and if it would make much of a difference, or as much of a difference as it would on an -02? Can't forget the four way flashers (hazards) and that pass button

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
GOOD & the BAD

Don't forget the 03 has smaller brakes, & more bulk / weight too!!!.........5........ :D

D

·
0 Posts
I've debated this a lot cause I'm bikeless and I waffle back and forth between SV \"Classic\" and SV \"New\". Here's my list so far:

New SV has bigger airbox, exhaust, EFI, and hotter cams to add up to a few extra ponies
New SV has extra oil cooler for heat control (may not be an issue for some, but I commute in Houston and heat control is a big deal with the weather and traffic)
New SV not as comfy as old SV (the angular seat is just lousy I think, but I admit no saddle time yet on the new seat
New EFI is generally less maintenance (no cleaning / balancing / shimming carbs)
Clocks on the SV are a little sexier to me (what can I say, I'm a gadget freak. LCD display is very cool.
That freaking wing of a radiator on the new SV is a damage magnet. I still can't figure out why the engineers went with wide and narrow instead of tall and skinny...

SV classic carbs while more work, are easier and cheaper to adjust if you do your own wrenching. EFI, while cool, can be more difficult to troubleshoot and work on. When it works, it works well. When it fails, it can be a lot harder to work on than a carb based system.
SV classic cheaper to buy and insure, meaning I can spend more money on track days and upgrade my software.
I personally like the lines of the SV classic a little better.
Parts and aftermarket support greater on the \"classic\" but that is a temporary advantage.
SV classic is available in more cool colors :)

You know what, after all that detailed analysis, I still don't know what I want. I'm too broke for either right now but I should have all the debt paid off by December and then I'll have to make some choice.
David

M

·
0 Posts
you mean you want to take the hit of depreciation twice?! that's nuts.

buy full bodywork and never look back.

Z

·
0 Posts
Re:

\"BentValve\" said:
\"ZX2SV\" said:
Who is Suzie Ormond?

G

·
0 Posts
ONE WORD...

REFINANCE...
You made all those mods, youll prolly want to keep it, not to mention, shes your baby. Its nice to get a new bike, of course, but if you are just thinking about your interest rates, go out and refinance her, and keep making the mods.
You get teh best of both worlds, cheaper payments, and not sinking all that money again, plus DEPRECIATION!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re:

\"ZX2SV\" said:
\"BentValve\" said:
\"ZX2SV\" said:
Who is Suzie Ormond?

Actually I spelled her name wrong, its Suze Orman , she has a radio show and a show on CNBC and has written several books including \"9 steps to finacial freedom\"
http://www.suzeorman.com/

http://www.suzeorman.com/home.asp

·
Registered
98 Posts
Re:

\"DJS_TX\" said:
New EFI is generally less maintenance (no cleaning / balancing / shimming carbs)
Injectors can clog also.
You still need to balance them.
Stock, the bike is lean. To adjust it, you need $200 hardware.

Here's what should be considered in your decision:

Look, ergo and price!!!

Everything else are details that won't make you hate your bike!

E

·
0 Posts
fivetoez, smaller brakes? All the websites I've looked at say all model SV(s) from 99-03 all have 290mm front rotors and a single 240mm rear rotor. Where'd you see the 03s have smaller brakes?

The new frame saves 6lbs but I think I read in a magazine that the '03 is actually 4 lbs or so heavier. The new oil cooler, bigger gas tank (holds .5 gallons more), and that HUGE stock exhaust would probably account for that.

Ziguy, who told you the stock 03s run lean? I had mine dynoed with an A/F sniffer and it was running rich across the board, at one point 11.5:1 (13.2:1 is ideal). I don't know how long it takes most people to install a jet kit and mess with needles and shims ect but a power commander can be installed in 10 minutes, and after it's installed you can make changes by simply clicking a mouse or pushing a few keys on a keyboard. With FI you don't have to worry about change in altitude either, plus you get that nifty automatic choke.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts