Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally race a GSXR 1000 but found a good deal on a SV650 that is going to be my street/race bike. I have some questions as I never paid attention to what SV racers were doing and this seems like a good spot to ask :)

I picked up a 05 SV650 N and want to take it racing. It already has a 06/07 GSXR front end on it so I assume it's superbike only? I also have the stock front end with "intiminators" installed. Are those better or worse than emulators?

I'm trying to source a bellypan (I want to run the bike naked) so if anyone has a busted set of BW I'll take whatever you got :)

Should I stick with the 160 tire or bump up to the 180 conversion?

It's got an awful exhaust welded on it right now so I'd need a full system. M4? Leo? Akra?

Do you guys run bazazz and QS on these bikes? I already have an autotune for bazazz so I figure I can use that to map it if bazazz even makes a system for it.

I'm staying out of the motor for now but do most people do SS builds (compression, timing)?

Looking for a penske/ohlins on ebay but not a lot of SV only parts. I know some things are interchangeable (older GSXR, Kawi shocks).

Finally who makes good tires? I run UK Dunlops on my 1000 but get the impression Dunlop is not the hot ticket for little bikes. I'd prefer contingency paying tires for WERA/CCS/MCRA so I guess I'm stuck with Bridgestone or Dunlop.

· Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a stock 2007 GSXR 1000 rear shock that should fit the SV if I cut the battery tray correct?

How bad does an SV go through tires? Would it be wise to pick up 2 GSXR rear rims for racing or will one get me through a weekend with practice and 3-4 sprints?

I'll call STG about that deal! They had decent prices and I've shopped with them before.

· Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was looking at ZZR penske shocks to rebuild and apparently (from Penske) they only need a longer hose and a lower clevis. I think a used penske would be easier to source and refit if need be since SV and Ohlins don't seem to go together.

· Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I meant there are not a lot of used SV ohlins shocks out there. I can find penske all day long on ebay but with rebuilds and new parts a new one seems cheaper.

· Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anybody know what the Ohlins 516 shock is for an SV? Looking around online it's a generic shock body with bike specific valving (maybe)? I think I want to stick with the ohlins I cna buy online mainly because I can't find any info the 516 for the SV.

· Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What about a Ricor rear shock? What's the deal with those? The bike has gen 2 forks with Ricor intiminators in them and a ricor rear shock but is that any good for racing? It seemed really soft when I was on the track at a baby snail's pace.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.