Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally race a GSXR 1000 but found a good deal on a SV650 that is going to be my street/race bike. I have some questions as I never paid attention to what SV racers were doing and this seems like a good spot to ask :)

I picked up a 05 SV650 N and want to take it racing. It already has a 06/07 GSXR front end on it so I assume it's superbike only? I also have the stock front end with "intiminators" installed. Are those better or worse than emulators?

I'm trying to source a bellypan (I want to run the bike naked) so if anyone has a busted set of BW I'll take whatever you got :)

Should I stick with the 160 tire or bump up to the 180 conversion?

It's got an awful exhaust welded on it right now so I'd need a full system. M4? Leo? Akra?

Do you guys run bazazz and QS on these bikes? I already have an autotune for bazazz so I figure I can use that to map it if bazazz even makes a system for it.

I'm staying out of the motor for now but do most people do SS builds (compression, timing)?

Looking for a penske/ohlins on ebay but not a lot of SV only parts. I know some things are interchangeable (older GSXR, Kawi shocks).

Finally who makes good tires? I run UK Dunlops on my 1000 but get the impression Dunlop is not the hot ticket for little bikes. I'd prefer contingency paying tires for WERA/CCS/MCRA so I guess I'm stuck with Bridgestone or Dunlop.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I picked up a 05 SV650 N and want to take it racing. It already has a 06/07 GSXR front end on it so I assume it's superbike only? I also have the stock front end with "intiminators" installed. Are those better or worse than emulators?
Depends on the organization... CVMA allowed it because there was no interest in racing the Stock hardware.... but then they disbanded the class and created Formula 2s and lumped SVs in with 2strokes. Fun racing either way.

You could go with the aftermarket internals with the stock SV externals, but then you lose the Big Brakes... which are worth bumping out of the supersport class.

Should I stick with the 160 tire or bump up to the 180 conversion?
Preference. I carry stooopid lean angles and I need the extra meat on the ground...

After having highsided my **** I an too afraid to go back to a 160. I have a Honda F3 with the TWF spacer kit on it. Seems like the cheapest way to go, but if you find a cheap GSXR wheel, that would probably be prettier looking

It's got an awful exhaust welded on it right now so I'd need a full system. M4? Leo? Akra?
The research I did when picking mine was M4 spent the most time in R&D on the SV... That's the way I went. I haven't raced on it yet, so I don't have a personal review but everyone I know from Westcoast GP Cycles racing at CVMA and the now-defunct WSMC nearly all choose M4. If you call STG and tell them you are a racer they will hook you up. They gave me 20% off.

Do you guys run bazazz and QS on these bikes? I already have an autotune for bazazz so I figure I can use that to map it if bazazz even makes a system for it.
I have been working with Dante at Bazzaz trying to get a system for my 07 but they are still in R&D. They are trying to resolve an FI light that apparently Dynojet is ignoring. They have been telling me "few more weeks" for a few months now... I think that their product will be worth the wait. I don't intend on getting the TC but definitely the FI, QS and Z-AFM.

I'm staying out of the motor for now but do most people do SS builds (compression, timing)?
I am staying out of the motor too... but I have heard that Cams are easy HP. I don't want to crack the motor if I don't have to because I want a bulletproof racer.

Looking for a penske/ohlins on ebay but not a lot of SV only parts. I know some things are interchangeable (older GSXR, Kawi shocks).
I have a 06 GSXR600 shock and it works great; don't pay more that $35 if you go this route. I had it re-valved... didn't need a spring. It's Cost Effective and while you gain adjust-ability with a Penske or Ohlins I am in the school of thought that this is still 'just an SV'

Finally who makes good tires? I run UK Dunlops on my 1000 but get the impression Dunlop is not the hot ticket for little bikes. I'd prefer contingency paying tires for WERA/CCS/MCRA so I guess I'm stuck with Bridgestone or Dunlop.
For contingency I would say Bridgestone all the way... I recently bumped to expert and I am NOT going to be winning any races soon so I am staying with Michelin. I ran the 120 Front & 180 Rear PowerCup in the last round and OMFG, I love them. I would say you get 4 days of racing out of the front (depending on how hard you push the front) and 2 days out of the rear. Cost/benefit not accounting for contingency I would say Michelin is the way to go.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a stock 2007 GSXR 1000 rear shock that should fit the SV if I cut the battery tray correct?

How bad does an SV go through tires? Would it be wise to pick up 2 GSXR rear rims for racing or will one get me through a weekend with practice and 3-4 sprints?

I'll call STG about that deal! They had decent prices and I've shopped with them before.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
dont use GSXR1000 shock.

SV is easy on tires, multiple weekends on a set even at fast expert pace, unless you are running 160 rear.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know it's shorter but I've shimmed my Ohlins +5-6 MM before. I'm on the ebay hunt for a dirt cheap rear shock.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
starting with ZX6 shock would be better

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
I know it's shorter but I've shimmed my Ohlins +5-6 MM before. I'm on the ebay hunt for a dirt cheap rear shock.
You can't shim a shock on the SV, it doesn't mount the same way. None of the OEM shocks have the right combo of length and spring rate. If you're even semi-serious about racing, get a Penske or Ohlins for it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was looking at ZZR penske shocks to rebuild and apparently (from Penske) they only need a longer hose and a lower clevis. I think a used penske would be easier to source and refit if need be since SV and Ohlins don't seem to go together.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
sv and ohlins go better together then GSXR and ZX go with SV :) So why consider a gsxr shock and not ohlins?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I meant there are not a lot of used SV ohlins shocks out there. I can find penske all day long on ebay but with rebuilds and new parts a new one seems cheaper.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anybody know what the Ohlins 516 shock is for an SV? Looking around online it's a generic shock body with bike specific valving (maybe)? I think I want to stick with the ohlins I cna buy online mainly because I can't find any info the 516 for the SV.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What about a Ricor rear shock? What's the deal with those? The bike has gen 2 forks with Ricor intiminators in them and a ricor rear shock but is that any good for racing? It seemed really soft when I was on the track at a baby snail's pace.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts