Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got an sv 650 last week (a 2006 that has never been ridden) and was wondering what i should do for break in? i;ve heard to keep it around 4000 rpm max for the first 600 miles then under 5000 or 6000 rpm for the next 100 or so?

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ive also heard that it is good to vary RPMs, just dont thrash on it or redlie it but it is ok to go above 4000 rpms every once in a while but you need to let the bike cool down every once in a while. is that true? 4000rpm for 600-1000 miles just seems way conservartive and ard on the motor b/c that is constantly lugging a motor meant to be run in its powerband, and 4000 rpm is nowhere near that

· Registered
33 Posts
My Manual said < 5500 rpm for first 600 miles, then under 8000 or 8500 for an additional period of time??? can't remember off the top of my head how long on the second part. I've got 100 miles on my '08 so far. Can't wait to wind it out a little more.

And the manual did say to vary rpm's. I have jsut been shifting gears a lot and varying my speed about 10mph, speeding up, letting off... so on. I am probably pi$$ing people off in traffic but I don't care, I just want it to be broke in right.

· Registered
1,801 Posts
it is my understanding (from some knowledgeable folks on here) that it is heat cycles that are key to break in. bring the bike up to temp and cool it off as much as possible as often as possible. i've heard several people say that you can break in the bike much quicker than the manual states by increasing the heat cycles the bike experiences.

i followed the manual for break in, have used rotella synthetic (except for the first oil change i used dino) and changed it every 2 to 4 thousand miles and have never had a problem with my engine.

· Registered
45 Posts
theres a break in procedure? Just my 2 cents: I didnt break in my Rc51 or the SV. The rc lasted fine for years and 20k miles. The sv hopefully the same. I only have 800 miles on it but it seems to be fine. I swear by repsol though.

· Registered
2,382 Posts
There is tons of evidence out there(search google) that keeping an engine under a certain RPM for a certain amount of time does nothing to break in the engine...

Load the engine(to push the rings against the cylinder wall) for short bursts(while the engine is at peak operating temp) making the bursts longer and longer untill you reach redline. I believe an engine is broken in within the first 100 miles and 90% of the breakin is done within the frist 20 miles. You have to seal the piston rings with heavy loads on the engine without overheating the internal components(hence the short bursts)

SLow and steady breakin(IMO) leads to unsealed rings, blowby, and overal bad performance from the life of the engine.

· Premium Member
13,325 Posts
I read it on the internet so it must be true, suzuki only puts stuff in the owers manual cause of liability issues :rolleyes:

it really doesn't matter that much how you break the engine in, but remember, there are other things on the bike that get seated in, loosen up etc.

and don't forget to change the oil 6 times before first recommended service, it's cheap insurance for the life of the bike :rolleyes:

it's documented that following the owners manual will give you well over 100k of trouble free miles regardless of how many peep followed mototune method that are running fine after 5000 miles

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I read it on the internet so it must be true, suzuki only puts stuff in the owers manual cause of liability issues :rolleyes:

it really doesn't matter that much how you break the engine in, but remember, there are other things on the bike that get seated in, loosen up etc.

and don't forget to change the oil 6 times before first recommended service, it's cheap insurance for the life of the bike :rolleyes:

it's documented that following the owners manual will give you well over 100k of trouble free miles regardless of how many peep followed mototune method that are running fine after 5000 miles
sarcasm much? heh heh. i was just curious dude, and as i am a noob to the bike i figured id at least ask about the owner's manual. i bet the bike is broken in by now. has 100 miles on it yesterday morning. went to bed with 297 miles on it. rode the twisties for 3 or 4 hours last night with some buddies. mucho varying loads.

· Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I don't think Randy was picking on you Cummins, I think it was directed at the posters who say following the recommend break-in is bad. Randy followed the manufacturer and had 130k on his SV.

There are always arguments over this. I followed the break-in procedure in the manual. In my opinion the key is just don't hold one rpm for to long. I kept it under the recommended rpm's, but varied them a lot.

· Registered
1,833 Posts
The main reason for the manual is that they don't want someone to take it off the floor and go out redlining it all the time.That would definitely hurt it.Besides that the motor just wants to be ridden.

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
now 454 miles on the bike. took a 150 mile trip yesterday. stayed at a given rpm (varying by at least 500rpm each time i changed rpm) for 5 minutes tops. the bike feels better each day. id say its getting there.

· Registered
396 Posts
I put 80k on my fzr600 and never had a problem with motor or tranny in fact my brother is still riding it with 93k on the clock right now and when i purchased it I drove it around town for about 50 miles varying my speed and kept it under 6k then proceeded to ride it a little hard but never close to redline about 10k max for the next 250 miles then beat the **** out of it for 10 years, but i would recommend that for the first 500 miles that you take it easy on the tranny and clutch dont go around slamming gears and please if at all possible dont lug or stall your engine. Just a thought for all those who think a slow break in is a must, how many million times do your pistons have to go up and down for your rings to seat now all of this is just my opinion but then again im only a wyotech graduate that works building high hp motors for a living.

· Registered
10 Posts

The scarasm in this post is apparent, but there is still serious misinformation. It DOES matter how you break in an engine. It matters very much. The method the manual specifies is incorrect. Gradually increasing load and RPM to near redline over the first few miles you ride is the corrent way to get it done. Sure, following the factory recommendations won't prevent you from getting tens of thousands of miles out of an SV (If it didn't, Suzuki wouldn't have it in the manual) but doing it the mototune (or similar) way is the better way to do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.