Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After almost exactly 3 years of ownership, 8k miles, and 6 trackdays, my SV went home with its new owner last night. Of those trackdays, 3 were Novice & 3 Intermediate, and it greatly improved my riding abilities by focusing on corner speed rather than relying on hp in the straights. I really enjoyed riding and modifying it, but I came across a great deal on my dream bike, and I pulled the trigger. Although I probably won’t post much on here anymore, I’ll still be lurking from time to time.

The replacement: 2008 Ducati 1098. I've been lusting after a Ducati Superbike since I first saw the 916 on the cover of Cycle World about 18 years ago, and this one did not dissapoint. ;D As you can see it is far from stock, so part of the “deal with the boss” was that I wouldn’t be modding it. It definitely doesn’t need anything.

Comparison to SV: I've only really ridden it once for about 70 miles this past weekend, but there aren’t many similarities. The first thing you notice is how narrow the tank is. Swapping with my friend’s CBR1k felt like I was sitting on a horse. The reach to the clipons is long, but overall the riding position is not a whole lot more uncomfortable than my SV’s setup (GSXR clipsons). Once you start it up the sound of the 70mm Termi system and dry clutch is intoxicating. Once you get moving, the bike is constantly wanting to go faster. It is not as smooth as the SV or my old TL down low. It is really doesn’t like to be between 3k-4k, but it really comes to life above 6k. The gearing is stock, so cruising at 65 mph is only 4200 rpm in 4th gear. You can get into 5th, but it’s more comfortable in 4th (see above). The gearbox is much tighter than a Japanese bike. I would say it takes deliberate input, which just takes some getting used to. It has a Duc Performance slipper which works seemlessly. It puts the stock slipper on my 07 GSXR to shame. The suspension (Ohlins 25mm w/Attack triples, TTX w/Duc Shop link) is unreal. Overall I would say it is very composed, both in corners and in a straight line. Although it is firm, it soaks up bumps like nothing and is rock sold mid corner. My friend riding with me commented that when he was following he could see that the bike hardly moved over bumps. Finally, the power…I don’t even know where to start. It’s not stock: Pistal hi comp pistons, Carillo rods, balanced crank, etc. As I said earlier, it is always wanting to go faster. Once it smoothes out about 4k it is quickly past 6k, and you’d better be holding on after that. Minimal throttle in 1st gear will bring the front end up and continuing on in 2nd will get you past any US speed limit. With its boat loads of torque, there is no need to approach the rev limiter, particularly on the street. As much as I said my SV was “just plain fun to ride,” this Duc is fun on a whole new level. I can’t wait to get it to the track this Sat & Sun (Grattan with STT). I can’t remember the last time I was this excited (and nervous) for a trackday. I’ll post up my track impressions afterwards.

·
Premium Member
4,340 Posts
Anyone who replaces an SV with a 1098 should be put on a torture rack.

Oh wait! Never mind, just go ride as much as you want.

Ducati are lust inducing but kind of high maintenance like that chick in the Fiat 500 ad.

eye color setting/green

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Already the 1098 is a beast, with all those engine upgrades I can only imagine what a thrill that bike is....

Congrats man, let us know how the track experience went! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What a great weekend! The weather was nearly perfect. It got up to 90 Sunday but the breeze made it bearable. Saturday was run CW (normal) and Sunday was CCW. I had been to Grattan 3 times before but never CCW. It is by far my favorite track I’ve ridden. I enjoyed CW more because I had a base to start with but I went much, much quicker than I had been before. I definitely still really enjoyed CCW. It is a COMPLETELY different track backwards. All the elevation changes are more apparent, and video doesn’t do them justice.

As I said before, the similarities to the SV are few. The v-twin engine braking is about the only characteristics they share. The Duc just does everything extremely well. I was surprised how quickly I got comfortable on it. The biggest difference I noticed in my riding was how much faster I entered corners than on my SV. Consequently, the thing that took the most getting used to was the initial hit of the throttle off idle. I don’t know if it’s the stiffness of the throttle springs or what, but I struggled to go from zero to neutral throttle, particularly when hanging off in RH corners. I got much better at it on Saturday afternoon going CW, but I still struggled with it on the slow, uphill right hander most of the day Sunday going CCW. It’s primarily a mental thing though as the suspension is so good that it doesn’t upset the chassis. The only thing I’ll do before next time is add a little preload, as it was using a little too much of the fork stroke. I don’t have a video from Sunday up yet, but here are my 2 quickest laps from Saturday: 1:40.9 and 1:42.0. I have no clue what I used to run on my SV. I’ll be able to compare times next time I go to Putnam.

Special thanks to the instructor on the 848 I worked with Saturday afternoon. I dropped 5 seconds thanks to him. :icon_biggrin:

Edit: Sunday footage...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts