Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

New Summer Jacket thoughts...

4K views 40 replies 31 participants last post by  BKK Jack 
#1 ·
Was looking for a new mesh jacket for the Florida summers and saw this new one from Shift Racing.

Specs
SHIFT Backdraft Jacket $149.95
Product Description:

* Vented mesh body fabric construction for maximum air flow
* Articulated design for superior comfort
* Removable CE approved shoulder and elbow armor
* Removable, full-sleeve water resistant liner
* Integrated shoulder, elbow and back padding for additional protection.
* Connection zipper for attachment to compatible SHIFT pants
* Integrated pocket for a back protector

==> Shift Backdraft

Me likey this jacket!! :)

See less See more
#5 ·
Lest you forget I was an owner and user of one of the first Shift sportbike jackets they made 4 years ago!

Behold Shift Man!!!!!!!! :p

#6 ·
great looking jacket! i like that it has spine padding as well. as much as i think the white looks pimp, i know it would be impossible to keep clean. the black/white/red would look great on a red bike. the black/blue/white would look sweet on a blue one too. pick your poison.

#9 ·
Seems to be a lot like the Air Avenger, but that jacket is a lot more money ($230). I wonder where the differences are?

Shift is nice stuff, but yeah, generally cut long and slim. Doesn't fit me well.

#26 ·
Shift is nice stuff, but yeah, generally cut long and slim. Doesn't fit me well.
Yea, Im not too long and slim either. What would you suggest for us larger types? I have shoulders like a linebacker and wear a 38ish waist.

Honestly, I am looking strongly at a Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket, either leather or standard mesh.

RK

#21 ·
Newenough has some good closeout deals on a few different A-stars, Shift, and Rocket Mesh jackets. Check them out and maybe save some $$. (although the price seems very dependent on sizing)

The Teknic Freestyle is probably not the best choice for a Florida Summer because it is not mesh and the venting is limited by the waterproof liner, which is not removable. Paul at Newenough even says the jacket is for cold or mild weather. Not Hot.

#20 ·
I just bought the Cortech HRX series 2 jacket for the summer. It has maximum protection, and lets a lot of air in, even when there's a breeze. Any mesh jacket will keep you cool; it's just a matter of how much protection you want with it and how much you're willing to spend.

#22 ·
Bought a Olympia Bushwhacker yesterday (had to go to the local BMW/Triumprh dealer to pick it up, a few nice bikes sitting around there). Originally wasn't planning on mesh, but after going back and forth realized that it was either buy that now or buy another jacket once we get to the really warm weather. Probably not as cool as some other mesh jackets but seemed like a good compromise between being somewhat cool and still offerening decent protection. And yes, it's the crazy hi-viz yellow - the one requirement my wife had for allowing this whole thing to happen. People should see me coming.

#30 ·
I have the feildsheer congo sport mesh, it's really sturdy with really nice armor "forearms have 1/8 plastic shell on the outside, and back protector has plastic ribs molded inside the dense foam.

It has a really really warm liner that seals it up tight "I wore it in the 30's a few times and my torso and arms were the only thing that was warm". But it's not really hot unless your looking at 90+ degree weather, then you can pull the liner out and it's as cool as a muscle shirt.

This place is selling them for $67!!!!! I payed $145 8 months ago! I'm probably going to have to find another just like the one I have should I go down and shred it.
http://www.powersports4less.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=WPS 471-5270

#35 ·
Yeah I'm not real big on the "closeout" stuff at new enough, never really liked the random leftovers from previous years.

#38 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.