Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New Spring and Emulator Installation. Finally Done.

Just installed a set of .85 sonic springs and Traxxion Emulator kit that came with the predrilled damper rod. I used 10w fork oil and set the oil level at 120mm or about 4.72in. I weigh about 165-170 with gear. I ended up using almost exactly one quart of oil. There were about 4 tablespoons left in the jug.

The difference was really noticeable. Feels alot more stable and firm. Front end doesnt dive nearly as much under braking as it used to.
It feels like a new bike, along with the gsxr shock i previously put on it. I ordered a set of after market fork and dust seals from All Balls racing since you have to tear the forks apart. Hindsight i probably shoulda ordered new bushings too. The install was easy but getting the seals seated was kinda a pain in the ass. It was just time consuming.

The bottom bolt that held in the damper rod was difficult to get out, so i just used an impact wrench. I couldnt torque it when i needed to reinstall it because it kept spining so i just put some blue loctite on it and hit it with the impact again.

If you got some extra money to blow, buy new springs and a set of emulators. I never messed around with rebuilding forks but this was an easy project.

Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Traxxion should have sent you a sheet with instructions and recommendations. With the Traxxion kit I bought the emulators came set (as far as I can remember) either 1 1/2 or 2 turns down, recommendation was for 20W fork oil, air gap between 4" and 4 1/4". There was a sheet with full instructions that had that information on it.

I measured the difference in height the emulators would cause and cut the stock spacers 1/2" less than that (too much static sag to start with). Then I checked my preload, static and total sag and cut the spacers a bit more to get the numbers I was looking for (20mm static, 45mm total).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the sheet. I just read somewhere that 2 full turns was too much. And maybe a different weight oil works better for some reason. I dont know. I was just lookin for some input.

·
Registered
120 Posts
As I recall, when speaking with the gents at traxxion, they mentioned that 10 wt would do the job fine for an aggressive street rider @ 215#. Just thought that the 20w might be a little much for you especially if your lighter than I.

·
Registered
54 Posts
With the SV frt being the wet noodle that it is, I like 20W oil. set the sag between 20 and 25 and take it from there. If you're riding street that will be a huge improvment from OEM. If doing track, write down your setting and experiment with emulator setting and fork oil level.
It's all very personal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts