Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I was fortunate enough to win a new set of springs at the rally this year! I was wondering if, while installing these springs, it would be a good idea to replace my fork seals that have begun to crack

thanks!

threesick

·
Registered
608 Posts
If you are talking about the dust seals that you can see on the outside, I did mine the other weekend when I replaced my springs and I have to say, it only took about a minute or 2 per seal to do them. So if they are looking like they need to be replaced then I'd say do it while you have the forms off anyway.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
:hello:

I say yes. We talked about this in Fontana. My opinion is that you should. Also, do some research and consider oil weight. I'm gonn a be switching to 20wt, but that's with emulators.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Depending on how old the oil is, you may want to change that too...and the main fork seals.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Hey guys! I was fortunate enough to win a new set of springs at the rally this year! I was wondering if, while installing these springs, it would be a good idea to replace my fork seals that have begun to crack
If you are talking about the dust seals that you can see on the outside, I did mine the other weekend when I replaced my springs and I have to say, it only took about a minute or 2 per seal to do them. So if they are looking like they need to be replaced then I'd say do it while you have the forms off anyway.
Yeah, sounds like he's talking about the dust seals. Easy to replace, no reason not to.
:hello:

I say yes. We talked about this in Fontana. My opinion is that you should. Also, do some research and consider oil weight. I'm gonn a be switching to 20wt, but that's with emulators.
20w is good for first gens, he's got a second gen. Usually 15w for those.

Depending on how old the oil is, you may want to change that too...and the main fork seals.
He's getting oil, it's part of the prize package. :)
No need to replace fork seals unless they're leaking.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
20w is good for first gens, he's got a second gen. Usually 15w for those.
I'm certain his is 1st gen. I saw him in Fontana w it

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Nah, I'll just send you some 20w. For some reason I read '03 in your e-mail instead of '02. It's hell getting old. :)
Btw, Rich, what brand do you use for oil?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Thanks! I've used belray (only thing sold by a shop) and I've got some silkolene (recommended for penske shocks). I was just curious what the "springs guy" uses. Thanks. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Rich - I just bought some springs from you for my 99, and I purchased 15W. From what I see in the above posts most are using 20W for first gens. I'm working on it right now and am putting it on the trailer to go to out of town in a few days. Do you think there is enough difference for me to run over to a shop in the morning and get some 20W or will it be good with the 15W? Keep in mind that I'm not an aggressive rider and up until now I've been getting by with the factory setup so I'm not going to notice anything real subtle.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Rich - I just bought some springs from you for my 99, and I purchased 15W. From what I see in the above posts most are using 20W for first gens. I'm working on it right now and am putting it on the trailer to go to out of town in a few days. Do you think there is enough difference for me to run over to a shop in the morning and get some 20W or will it be good with the 15W? Keep in mind that I'm not an aggressive rider and up until now I've been getting by with the factory setup so I'm not going to notice anything real subtle.
If you're mostly a moderate touring/commuting type rider the 15w will be fine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Rich - Thanks for your help. So far the springs seem like a big improvement. I look forward to getting into some curves next week so that I can really test them out.

In an email from you after the purchase, you recommended that I get dust seals from the dealer and I should have listened to your advice. I got some aftermarket seals that cost about 1/2 what the dealer wanted and they didn't fit worth a darn (inner sealing surface was OK but they were too fat to press into the outer ring). I messed them up and ended up putting the old ones back on - fortunately the originals aren't terrible.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Rich - I rode the "Snake" in TN a lot last week and the springs were a big improvement. Thanks again for your help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts