Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think I am going to get new front rotors- The right front rotor is begining to "Float" A LOT - the left one gets maybe 1mm of play- the right moving around on 3-5mm's

It makes this awful clunking/clapping noise when I am braking... I checked the buttons and allens- it's on there... not coming off- but loose in the buttons.

Any suggestions on my next steps? Just getting new rotors? What brands? What prices are decent?

Also what is the width spec considered "new"

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EBC or Galfers are the only ones I've looked at. You might just want some OEMs unless you're tracking it
Might go with galfers ... my bike is a ridiculous concoction of differet brands and galfer is the one i haven't put on there yet.

Just wondering if I need to actually replace these discs or if there is something else I can do to fix them.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Some play is okay. But when you are talking 4mm, thats not good. Just get the new rotors.

EBC and Galfer are pry cheaper than OEM. They are pry of equal quality, with EBC maybe being slightly cheaper (price, not quality).

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
It makes this awful clunking/clapping noise when I am braking...
does it feel like the front is shaking and/or slipping? i get this sometimes and have been unable to figure out why (new ebc HH pads, fresh fluid). i have a bit of play in the buttons, maybe 1 or 2 mm, but it's always been there, and never had this symptom b/4, gone through the stock pads and 2 sets of galfer organic pads.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
two piece buttons with clips? wouldn't that be like the old rivet vs. clip master link debate?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
two piece buttons with clips? wouldn't that be like the old rivet vs. clip master link debate?
I don't think the operating environment is quite as violent on the wheels compared to the chain. Can't see why they wouldn't do the job. Really, they should see virtually no side to side force at all, so a tight fitting clip should stay on.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
chains don't really see much side force either, it's all in the direction of travel, like the clips on those buttons. that's why the clips fly off. i even used some safety wire once, the clip disappeared leaving the safety wire behind. agreed that the rotors don't have the violent movement like a chain, that would make a lot of difference.
in any case, the buttons are designed to have a little play, according to the product info, which makes sense, so i guess i'm ok with the tiny bit of play i have. it's @1mm, maybe less, nowhere near as bad as the op's 3-5mm. that needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I don't think the operating environment is quite as violent on the wheels compared to the chain. Can't see why they wouldn't do the job. Really, they should see virtually no side to side force at all, so a tight fitting clip should stay on.
plus chains stretch which is why the clip disappears...the chain stretches and the clip doesn't.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts