Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

new rims

2K views 27 replies 6 participants last post by  Dizzle 
G
#1 ·
I'm looking into different rims, but I want to make sure of the rim size thats on a stock 04' sv650s first , is it 17x 4.5 ?

G
#3 ·
Kid Thunder said:
yup
here is my second line so i dont get in trouble...
and my third to save my ass.
and yea its a 4.5 inch rim and i have READ that the biggest you should go tire size on that is 160
so have I again and again.........but I want to cosmeticly change the stock rims ie: chrome them or have them powder coated or just buy different ones all together thats all.

G
#6 ·
syntheticton said:
actually you could go to a 5 inch rim on rear... many racers claim that the 5 inch fits the contour of the 160 better... some use F3 5 inch wheels for this reason
good deal! I see the majority of aftermarket rims start at 5" I was a little worried, whats the front, 3.5" or is that 4.5" too and my vision is just screwy?

#7 ·
I do think its a 3.5" on front

I would like to get new wheels to... just can't justify price right now but would likely get the 5" on rear and 3.5" on front I think

I know someone who just got some carbon fiber wheels to put on their 05 GSXR1000 :eek:
that was sweet

#9 ·
Dizzle said:
Not Sh*t!! that would be sweet, but I'm sure not cheap...
yeah... no kidding

considering most metal aftermarket wheels can cost $1200-$3000 for a set... I can only imagine C/F wheels being around $4000 or more. I never did ask how much... guess cause I knew it was already out of my price range :D

#12 ·
Dizzle said:
it sucks all the rims im finding i like start at rear size being 17x5.5".........could that fit? or no way?
I think you would have to do the GSXR or R1 swingarm mod to get that in there

I know Performance Machine I think make 5" wheels cause I seen them on SV that sold on ebay and I think Machiese (?sp) makes them too cause I have heard of some SV racers with them

#13 ·
You can definately fit some 5.5s into a stock SV swingarm, check out the SVR GSXR wheel option... I think it means spacing out the front sprocket as well to get the chain to clear the tyre, not 100% of that...

As for coating, you can get a pretty dramatic difference just with paint or powdercoat... I've got mine coated burnished gold, and to set it off a little I painted in the logos on the tyres. Not everyone likes it but I think it looks magic, a bit retro. And it set me back about a 20th the cost of a set of aftermarket rims :)

#14 ·
Every rider on Team CycleZoo / SVRaceShop has 5.5 or 6' rear wheels on their SV's except Kris because he is our SV Cup rider and they have to use stock size wheels, etc. No big deal going bigger size wheels. The Marchesini SV set comes standard with a 5.5 rear. Bolts straight on. :D

#15 ·
DucOwner said:
Every rider on Team CycleZoo / SVRaceShop has 5.5 or 6' rear wheels on their SV's except Kris because he is our SV Cup rider and they have to use stock size wheels, etc.  No big deal going bigger size wheels. The Marchesini SV set comes standard with a 5.5 rear. Bolts straight on.  :D
hmm... didn't realize there was enough room for those... must be really tight

G
#16 ·
DucOwner said:
Every rider on Team CycleZoo / SVRaceShop has 5.5 or 6' rear wheels on their SV's except Kris because he is our SV Cup rider and they have to use stock size wheels, etc. No big deal going bigger size wheels. The Marchesini SV set comes standard with a 5.5 rear. Bolts straight on. :D
outstanding thanx! 8)

G
#17 ·
Northwind said:
As for coating, you can get a pretty dramatic difference just with paint or powdercoat... I've got mine coated burnished gold, and to set it off a little I painted in the logos on the tyres. Not everyone likes it but I think it looks magic, a bit retro. And it set me back about a 20th the cost of a set of aftermarket rims :)
I'll have to keep this in mind but I was also thinking of the labor cost of bringing my bike to a shop to have them strip the rim and all that so I could do that, I have 2 shops close to me and one is $65 and the other is $75 an hr (labor) so I have that to consider too.

G
#19 ·
Northwind said:
Mine were £100UK (about $170?) to get both wheels and the sprocket carrier stripped, couple of minor repairs, and coated- though I removed the tyres and bearings myself. Not exactly cheap, but compared to the price of a set of wheels...
very true....

#20 ·
syntheticton said:
hmm... didn't realize there was enough room for those... must be really tight
It's tight but not that tight. I just measured my race bike rear, it has 5mm clearance to the chain on the left and 10mm clearance to the swingarm on the right with a 19/67-420 rear tire (about a 195), that is the biggest tire a privateer can get from Michelin right now. I normally use a 18/67-420 rear that has about 10mm chain and about 15mm swingarm clearance but decided to give this new C2M 5533 compound a try. It is supposed to be soft as rubber cement.

I don't know if anyone makes a bigger race tire. I've heard MGP guys have 200 & 205 options now. We'll have to wait a year or two before it trickles down to us. I wouldn't use this tire again on the SV, it is too much. I'm going back to the 185 I normally use. It is enough plus it's about 2 lbs lighter than the monster that's on there right now. I wish that Michelin made a 175 size slick, it'd be about perfect for superbike SV's. The 165's wear too quickly for my style and the 185's are a little bit more than is needed but last twice as long so it is less expensive to go that way. I wouldn't worry too much about the fitment, there is enough room.

#21 ·
bah :mad: to hell with the powdercoat. You mentioned you were thinking chrome. Polish those somebitches. I've recently become the aluminum polish master after much trial and error (check out my aluminum polishing thread).

The best part is it's relatively free and they look like chrome. so far I've done the heel guards, passenger peg brackets, radiator guards and just started the swingarm. This winter while the bike is parked, I'll be doing the frame and the full wheels. Time consuming work but cheap to do.

If the wheels go as good as the rest of it has, I've been thinking of buying a spare set of 1st and 2nd gen wheels and starting an exchange service. 8)

PM if you can't find the thread and I'll list my process.

G
#23 ·
andyauger said:
Let's see, $6,000 bike, $4,000 wheels.
where were you shopping? Hell even the carbon fiber rims weren't 4g (pretty close though); of course I did come across spinners that had price tags made up by the mentally challenged, well actually the guy/gal whoever thought of them for sport bikes had to have some mental malfunction but anyway thats a whole different topic........but like you did mention it is still just a 6g bike so I didn't want to spend a sh@t load, of course I was pretty involved in the whole sport compact car scene so spending more on modifications than you did the "vehicle" wouldn't be new to me but anyway thats why I was leaning towards more of just getting them powder coated or just seeing if any black ones come up on ebay, I don't want to get too financially upside down again, that and I still want to ride and not have anything sacrificed such as handling,acceleration etc etc etc.

#25 ·
Andy, if you think the SVraceshop bikes and probably some of TWF's bikes cost only $6K, then you need to lay off the Vodka buddy. The raceshop motor's might cost that much? Or the lightening of their bikes to 300lbs or less might have cost $6K? Or the redone 750 forks with triple Penske's? Hell their bike's probably cost $18K each. Don't knock them for it. Jealousy of others time and money will only bring you down. Education and skills can pay the bills. Your a Engineer? You alone should know what hard work and effort will do for you. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.