Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

Picked up an 02 SV650 about 5 weeks ago as my first bike. I absolutely love everything about the bike.

Was going to go for a nice ride yesterday as it was nice warm weather and noticed a spot of coolant on the ground. Using my powerful skills of deduction I realize that my garage floor does not sweat coolant, and therefore it had to come from above and the bike (yes, I'm a Sherlock Holmes). So, I snapped a quick pick and easily saw there is coolant leaking from this bolt on the left side of the engine cover above the oil filter. (the pic shows this.)

I've worked on cars a fair amount, but bikes are a bit new. Pro's and con's of course, but I'm not familiar with what everything is/where/etc.

Do you think this is a gasket? I doubt it is just a bolt that needs tightened or replaced, but would love it if that was the case.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/87/leakantifreeze.jpg/
What should be the next step?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Hey all,

Picked up an 02 SV650 about 5 weeks ago as my first bike. I absolutely love everything about the bike.

Was going to go for a nice ride yesterday as it was nice warm weather and noticed a spot of coolant on the ground. Using my powerful skills of deduction I realize that my garage floor does not sweat coolant, and therefore it had to come from above and the bike (yes, I'm a Sherlock Holmes). So, I snapped a quick pick and easily saw there is coolant leaking from this bolt on the left side of the engine cover above the oil filter. (the pic shows this.)

I've worked on cars a fair amount, but bikes are a bit new. Pro's and con's of course, but I'm not familiar with what everything is/where/etc.

Do you think this is a gasket? I doubt it is just a bolt that needs tightened or replaced, but would love it if that was the case.

What should be the next step?
For some reason, the picture is not posting on your post...

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's an odd one.
Theoretically the coolant I suppose could leak up the threads of a loose bolt via a failed gasket around the water jacket. However, I do not believe that the left hand engine cases have a water jacket at that point, unlike the right hand. In addition those bolts are supposed to be thread locked.

Therefore I'd suggest this is not your problem.

I think you'll find your leak is actually somewhere else. The bike was parked on it's side stand, coolant flowed down from the leak and accumulated at the bolt due to gravity - which could be anywhere above that point.

I'd say you need to carefully look over the engine to try and trace the path of the coolant you saw. Coolant often leaves a white deposit as it evaporates, so look for that around the bolt to see if you cannot identify a flow path. Also check all your hoses, connections etc watching out for a build up of powdery nasty deposits around joints.

If you don't find anything, and it continues to leak, you can always use a special UV die in the coolant, which when under a black-light shows you where it's been leaking. Use that as a last resort though.

Good luck finding the leak. I've spent days trying to find coolant leaks in my car only to find them in the oddest of places.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, that makes sense to me too. I saw it come from the bolt but it didn't look like it was originating there since I didn't think there was coolant in that area. I'll check it out. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Check your oil and make sure coolant is not getting into the crankcase. There are a number of hoses that run between the two cylinders, just under the tank, so potentially a lot of possible leak points. I have two videos on doing a coolant change, but its not intended to disclose possible leaks...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help and warm welcome. Before I saw the recent post I put the bike up on stands and did a lot of looking around. Here are the pics I've got:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/231/pic3sa.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/31/pic2huz.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/31/pic1jnbl.jpg/

There seemed to be jut a bit of coolant around the bolt, and I saw some grime but it didn't seem like it was leaking from elsewhere. Now, this happened after I did a super short rides on Tuesday , about 3 minutes since I got the bike out, and decided it was too cold. Then noticed the coolant drop there.

I've now jacked it up.

I will check the oil to make sure no coolant is getting in there. I assume if it is it has to be a head gasket?

thanks,

Matt

as this is my first bike is there any harm at leaving the bike on the stands for long periods of time? I can't imagine so, but I wanted to check. it is up in front and back on the wheel/race stands. Just wanted to be sure in case I was missing something obvious.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Thanks for all the help and warm welcome. Before I saw the recent post I put the bike up on stands and did a lot of looking around. Here are the pics I've got:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/231/pic3sa.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/31/pic2huz.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/31/pic1jnbl.jpg/

There seemed to be jut a bit of coolant around the bolt, and I saw some grime but it didn't seem like it was leaking from elsewhere. Now, this happened after I did a super short rides on Tuesday , about 3 minutes since I got the bike out, and decided it was too cold. Then noticed the coolant drop there.

I've now jacked it up.

I will check the oil to make sure no coolant is getting in there. I assume if it is it has to be a head gasket?

thanks,

Matt

as this is my first bike is there any harm at leaving the bike on the stands for long periods of time? I can't imagine so, but I wanted to check. it is up in front and back on the wheel/race stands. Just wanted to be sure in case I was missing something obvious.
It's definitely not going to be leaking coolant at that point - you need to follow that upstream. Check by the water pump (radiator hose on the right hand (throttle) side of the bike) there could be a loose hose or the mechanical seal could be gone and it's leaking out a little tiny weep hole.

No worries leaving the bike on stands, not like cars.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestion and feedback. Yeah, I meant I agree, it has to be a pinhole leak because even if oil/coolant mixed, which I have not detected, people say there is no water jacket there so therefore it would be almost impossible. I think I'd be blowing smoke if that was the case or something worse. I will check it out and really dig into it.

Would it hurt anything if I turn it on because then it will become pressured and might be easier to find the leak?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Matt, I take it that its really cold where you are at. If so, coolant leaks can occur since the rubber hoses get stiff, etc. Also, any possible coolant leak into the oil can be caused by the water pump (just above the drain screw) failing to seal, so don't worry about a head gasket. Most likely you just have a slightly loose hose fitting. Clean things up...then run the bike up to normal temp and see if you can spot anything during the process. Most likely you'll have a leak during warm-up, rather than after reaching full temp. Don't run the bike unless you are with it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, thanks for the feedback Spacecoast. As a newbie to bikes I want to take my time. With cars I can just bang stuff with a hammer until things work out. I'll fire it up when I get a chance and keep an eye on things.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts