Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my 09 SV650S this weekend and it's being delivered next weekend (since I don't get my BRC and license until end of May) and it's my first bike.

I have read a few threads saying that the stock tires are not great. Is it worth just replacing the tires straight away or should I spend a little mileage on the stock tires?

·
Registered
65 Posts
definitely put some miles on those stock tires. you'll need to get some experience going before you can work those to their potential anyway.

get some frame sliders so it won't bang up that new bike as much when you drop it.

get some gear, and be safe!

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
I put ~9,000 miles on the stock tires. I wasn't a new rider at the time, but I did have a hiatus of about 7 years. They're not the best tires, but they're not as aweful as some people make them out to be.

As a new rider, you'll have several thousand miles to put under your belt before you can even think you're confident enough to push the stockers to their limit. Then you've got a few thousand miles until you are confident enough. Then you've got a few thousand miles to actually be able to do it. Just ride them out.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Just don't lock them up braking. They have poor manners when skidding. Otherwise they are good long lasting tires. I rode to the Indy Motogp last year from NJ via backroads thru the rain and had no issues.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
My bike just turned over 5800 miles yesterday morning (I bought the bike with 4100 on it), and it's still sporting the original tires with a good amount of tread left. I have a set of new tires sitting in my garage right now as well... Not so that I can improve anything about the ride (like I'd be able to tell the difference), but just waiting for ANOTHER set of punctures to swap them out.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I still have the originals after 3K miles. The only thing I don't like is that it seems like they take a little longer to warm up during which time they are a little slippery. Just don't go dragging your knee right out of the gate.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

I doubt I'll keep the tires for their full treadlife as I am a tire junky (always have been on all my cars) but I'll keep them for a while to learn on.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
The tires that come stock are fine. There are just better tires out there. Hell, the tires on the SV on the show room floor are better than the tires available just 10 years ago.

Just ride until they need to be replaced due to wear, not due to the idiocy of those that are telling you otherwise.
Agreed. I put about 5000 miles on the stock rubber before the rear was pretty squared off and the rubber had been through enough heat cycles that it was pretty hard so I put some Pilot Powers on it. I love the PP and will be sticking with them I think.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Use up the stockers, then put on some better tires. By the time you wear out the stock rubber, you'll be a much more accomplished rider and you'll be better able to appreciate the difference in ride and handling quality.

Besides, it's more economical to use the stock rubber until they're shot.

·
Registered
308 Posts
i have ~6500 on my 03 that had 2145 when i bought it.

yes the rear will skid if its cold and i am being sloppy, but once they are hot I have no problems with them

i say save your money and get a better tire when you replace them.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
The tires that come stock are fine. There are just better tires out there. Hell, the tires on the SV on the show room floor are better than the tires available just 10 years ago.

Just ride until they need to be replaced due to wear, not due to the idiocy of those that are telling you otherwise.
:iamwithstupid:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the stockers - they're fine. You don't need the best of the best of the best. Most of the dorks on SVR don't know any better - they're just parroting what they hear from racers and track enthusiasts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts