Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got home from a short ride today. When I got home I parked in front of my house for about 15 minutes. Then I started my bike back up and rode it around back and parked it on my back porch. The weird things that happened were:

1: My turn signals would both come on when I turned them on. Just like when you turn on your hazards. I don't think anything is loose but they did it every time I turned them on just riding around the block and down my alley.

2: When I got to my back gate, I parked the bike in neutral and left it running. After I got the two gates open to my porch the bike would die when I put it into first gear. It did this maybe 3 times, then it ran fine. Is this something I should look into? How can I possibly fix it?

3: After I got my bike parked on my back porch I looked in the little oil level window and noticed my oil is pretty dark. I just had all the fluids changed before I purchased the bike, does the oil get dark after about 3 days of total riding time (I ride when ever everything isn't frozen)?

Please help me with these few possible issues. I would really appreciate it. I hope that these potential problems can be fixed by myself, I really don't have the cash to take my bike into a mechanic, but if that is the only way to fix these possible issues, well then I gotta figure something out.

Thank you so much everyone

Mark

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I just got home from a short ride today. When I got home I parked in front of my house for about 15 minutes. Then I started my bike back up and rode it around back and parked it on my back porch. The weird things that happened were:

1: My turn signals would both come on when I turned them on. Just like when you turn on your hazards. I don't think anything is loose but they did it every time I turned them on just riding around the block and down my alley.

2: When I got to my back gate, I parked the bike in neutral and left it running. After I got the two gates open to my porch the bike would die when I put it into first gear. It did this maybe 3 times, then it ran fine. Is this something I should look into? How can I possibly fix it?

3: After I got my bike parked on my back porch I looked in the little oil level window and noticed my oil is pretty dark. I just had all the fluids changed before I purchased the bike, does the oil get dark after about 3 days of total riding time (I ride when ever everything isn't frozen)?

Please help me with these few possible issues. I would really appreciate it. I hope that these potential problems can be fixed by myself, I really don't have the cash to take my bike into a mechanic, but if that is the only way to fix these possible issues, well then I gotta figure something out.

Thank you so much everyone

Mark
1. ???
2. any chance your kickstand was down the first 3 times?
3. Wouldn't worry about it if you are sure it was changed. Look later in a different light.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
not sure bout one or three but i do know that if u have the kickstand down and put it in first the bike will stall itself out....its got a little button switch down by where the kickstand is

EDIT--my only guess on the turn signals is u might have a short or something somewhere...not sure how the wiring is on the svs yet....im a car mechanic.....slowly starting to learn bout the bikes....let me know if u figure it out tho

·
Registered
390 Posts
1. Open the trunk area and make sure all the wires are connected to the right connections.

2. Make sure your kick stand isn't down ( I suffered the embarrassment of this one,) if it is, you may just have a stuck sensor down there.

3. I have no idea.

BTW, these are just recommendations from a quick read though of whats going on, may or may not work/be the problem etc.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
1. Your bike has hazards, you probably turned them on without knowing. The turn signals are on the left, hazards on the right.

2. You can put the bike in gear and it stay running IF you have the kick stand down. That's what it sounds like. If you know you didn't do that, then it may be the kickstand sensor.

3. The oil will turn darker after it's run. That's normal.

This must be your first bike. It never hurts to ask questions, better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the hazards aren't on. When it is light again I will pop open the trunk and check the connections to the turn signals. Thanks for the input and also thanks for not flamin me about these questions. The kickstand was down, and the oil question was out of panic. I thought the more info I could give you guys the easier you guys could help me with my possible problem.

I think the fact my turn signals are all messed up atm just put me in panic mode. I am one of them guys that goes nuts if one little thing is wrong and I don't know exactly how to diagnose the problem. That is the case with my bike, it is my first, so everything I read here and post is in essence a learning experience. Thanks again and if anyone has possible solutions to my turn signal issue please post.

Mark

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
THE OWNERS MANUAL IS YOUR FRIEND!

Read it front to back, over and over, while on the sh!tter or in bed watching TV.

Good luck with your new machine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guess I will have to get one of those owners manuals, I have a service manual for the bike and am slowly educating myself on what everything means in it

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
ok, if the turn signals really aren't a usre error, I would suspect the handlebar switch is the culpret . this is where the circuit is switched then both sides ground through the same blinking relay. so, just shorting to ground wouldn't be enough. handlebar switch seems only logical place for this to happen- either a defect in the turn signal switch or in the hazzard circuit such that providing power to one side also shorts to the other.

edit: I wonder if the hazzard switch was slightly engaged, if the lights wouldn't blink until you put the turn signal on. i'd wiggle the hazzard switch and see if that cures it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
does just one side of lights blink if you turn the turn signal on? if that is so then its probably something with the wiring on the hazards. if the turn signals dont work and all of the lights still flash when you turn the signal on, then the computer is outputting something wrong most likely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts