Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get my first bike. I've ridden dirt bikes before, and have occasionally taken my friend's sport bikes out. Now its time to get my own! I love the style and ride-ability the sv650 offers, but unfortunatly i do not have the best experience to make a tough decision between two bikes I have found on craigslist.

First option: 2008 SV650n - 22k miles
Was dropped on owners driveway once, leading to a broken right footpeg, small gas tank dent, right turn signal broken. Additionally, he got rid of the stock handle bars and put on dirt bike style bars to get an even more upright riding position. Cosmetics look pretty darn good considering the drop. Needs a new back tire. He is asking 2600
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/3211168483.html

Second option: 2004 SV650s - 12k miles
Full fairings. Apparently never dropped and in good condition. I have yet to check this one out in person. Claims the tire and chain are in good condition. Seems to be ready to ride. Asking 2800.
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/3218790557.html

I am seeking advice and opinions from you guys. I think I can talk the 2008 guy down to 2500, so there will be a 300 dollar difference. One is 4 years newer than the other but has about double the miles. Needs a new tire and a couple small repairs. I think i prefer the riding position of the naked, but the sport seems to be a pretty good deal. Any significant changes in those 4 years the sv was made?

Thoughts, opinions, advice is appreciated!
Thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
the '08 has dual spark and a newer engine management system that kind of monitors more.

I would buy the '08 and and take the stickers off and replace the bars and have a great bike but thats because I like the naked version better.

They both seem like good deals

·
Registered
217 Posts
Go 08. Resale over the long term should be better too. I actually prefer to see a healthy mileage on a bike . They deteriorate if sitting too much. Spend the $200 that you save on rear tire. Color will probably sell better too if reselling. I like yellow but I'm a bit of an odd duck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
went to go see the 04 sv650s in person today. pulled the trigger. it was in prestine condition. tire still had hairs on it, upgraded turn signals, 1 year old battery, he included 2 matching helmets, extra set of brake pads....just too good of a deal to pass up. plan on pulling those side fairings off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey what color are the fairings youre going to be taking off? Just wondering if youd be interested in selling them.. i recently bought an 04 with only 2300 miles on it and it had a small drop on the right side...nothing to bad but I have been looking all over for a replacement and havent had much luck...thanks

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Good deal... I would have gone for the 04 as well.... Only cause I have an 06, same thing as the 04. Got it brand new from the dealer. Has over 50k miles on it, and no problems..... Other than chains, sprockets, and tires nothing else has been replaced...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey what color are the fairings youre going to be taking off? Just wondering if youd be interested in selling them.. i recently bought an 04 with only 2300 miles on it and it had a small drop on the right side...nothing to bad but I have been looking all over for a replacement and havent had much luck...thanks
they are yellow. not sure I want to sell them, but we could discuss possibilities. PM me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts