Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rad-fan's screws won't line up with new Radiator

So, while transporting my new 03 SV650s, something snapped and the bike toppled over in the trailer, smashing the radiator (and nothing else thankfully). At the advice of a friend, I ordered a replacement on eBay for about $170 and it arrived yesterday. After removing my old radiator and attempting to mount the fan to my new one, I realized that the holes don't line up. I can get two out of three holes to line up, but the third one is about half-way too far off. I'm new to motorcycles and I wasn't sure what the best option would be, so I come seeking advice :).

Do I:

-Send the radiator back and get a new one (this will probably take weeks :()

-Drill a new hole with my Dremel in the mount and get a stainless-steel nut and bolt to hold it in place.

-Put only two screws in, and put some kind of spacer between the mount and the screw hole to keep it stable (it feels very stable with just two but it might cause rattling I'd guess).

Like I said, I'm new, and I really don't know what's taboo when it comes to motorcycles yet. Thanks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Drill a new hole or run with two screws would be my choice. The radiator fan doesn't kick on much (and practically never if you're rolling) so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Shoot, you could probably use a ziptie and call it a day. The temperature should be OK for that even.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
If it's that close, could you bend one of the mounts? Choose the one with the longest leg if possible. Be careful that you don't stress the radiator itself and cause a leak

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would try drilling a new hole. If that doesn't work try using just 2 of the mounting points and lock tight them. See if you will be able to get by with just to of the 3 mount points.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts