Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havnt pulled the clutch apart yet. Been extremely busy. This weekend is going to be the maintenance weekend on the scion tc and the sv.

Question is, generally speaking can i just replace the friction plates and the springs with out replacing the contact plates? I know this is a case by case basis. But basically im just wanting to get it back on the road. It was mid 80's today and not a cloud in the sky. And im stuck in 2 door hell.

Since im putting 4 new tires on the tc this weekend along with some other stuff. Money is tight. Thats why im asking if generally speaking i can get away with just the friction plates,springs and a new clutch cable.

·
Super Moderator
8,605 Posts
Unless your clutch is slipping or causing some other problem, you shouldn't have to touch it.

The SV650 along with most wet clutches are very durable unless abused.

Of course if you're just curious and like wrenching on your bike then it'd be a nice way to spend some quality time with your bike! smiley

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya its slipping very bad. To be honest it happened during a burnout. Was doing a few of them for some buddies. And one of them the tire never broke loose, but the engine did. That split second was enough to cause it to progressively get worse over the next few days till i put it up for fear of causing damage.

Anyway i just took the cover off, which was a pain as i had to remove the clutch cable, fairings and such. I had some pics but the gf lost my sd adapter for the 393897984798437 time.

So the cover is removed. And i have one big nut in the center. And a bunch of little ones in a circle around that. Do i loosen the middle nut. or just work off the smaller ones in a circle?

*edit* the gasket slightly tore, this is a must replace? No silicone seal or glue would fix this correct?

·
Super Moderator
8,605 Posts
I bet the oil smells like hell, if it's been slipping for very long. Those little bits of clutch plate that get abraded off go right into the engine oil, so it's a good idea not to run the bike once the clutch burns. Be sure to change your oil filter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It didnt smell good, and was pretty burnt looking for only having 2500 miles it.

Last question, i know i ask alot. But i find asking someone with experience gives more info then all the reading ive been doing on it.

Are these plates and springs acceptable?

http://www.starcycle-usa.com/servlet/Detail?no=11265

Also is buying a used clutch cable a mistake?

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
New clutch cables are inexpensive enough to make buying used a questionable action.

I don't know of those plates; I've only used OEM.

Oil looks burned in only 500 miles. 2500 is near the typical change interval, so of course it's gonna look bad.

·
Super Moderator
8,605 Posts
To be honest it happened during a burnout. Was doing a few of them for some buddies. And one of them the tire never broke loose, but the engine did.
If you see more burnouts in your future, those heavy duty springs are probably a good idea!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There will be many more ;D this tire has maybe 1000 miles left. Then its going to go up in another smokey burnout.

I would get oem except when i called the suzuki dealership they wanted $201.00
for both sets of plates and springs. 170.00 minus the metal plates. And seeing that kevlar kit with springs for 116 shipped. Makes it hard to go oem.

Im up for suggestions, as to what clutch plates/springs to get.

Im about off work so ill be taking the scion to get some new rubber. Then ill be pulling the clutch out. I havnt ordered the plates yet. But its just sitting there. So no harm done taking it apart.

Also, small and probably stupid question , does it being in gear affect the removal of the clutch assembly

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They turn counter clock wise right? Nothing unusual?

I was just cranking on them pretty hard and they wouldnt budge. Im worried if i push to much harder my wrench is going to break as it was bending or the nut will strip.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Ya its slipping very bad.

I have to ask this,

did you try adjusting the clutch first before you started tearing into the clutch unnecessarily, I mean adjust the clutch at the rod & locknut under the sprocket cover, not just fiddle with the cable

I have a hard time believing your clutch frictions & springs
are toast with such low miles,

my original clutch frictions & springs went over 100,000 miles for me, that inclusted many thousands of miles slipping clutch on purpose for speed control in 1st & 2nd gear standing on pegs playing with the SV like it was a trials bike

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did, first adjustment fixed it temporarily. But within 10 miles it was back to where it was. Adjusted again to where the clutch was almost fully engaged halfway thru travel. Fixed for a day then back to where it was. So i stopped riding it.

Is there something im not doing. Adjustments were made per direction in manual. Not to spec obviously because it was slipping at spec.

As i said the engine broke loose during a burnout. So im pretty sure all that spinning fried the plates.

·
Super Moderator
8,605 Posts
The fact that the clutch broke loose during a burnout, and proper adjustment hasn't fixed it, looks like the clutch really is burnt.

Open the oil filler hole and take a whiff. Burnt clutches smell awful.

Engine and transmission oil are shared in the SV. If your clutch is slipping, don't ride till it's fixed with oil and especially filter changed, since little pieces of clutch plate will be circulating in your engine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice weather out finally been rainy all weekend. Heres what the plates looks like. Just finished taking them out.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Focal length. Look it up. Use it. Take useful pictures.

Return when you can post pics we can see.

:evil6:

(In other words: your camera is too close to your subject; you're within your camera's focal length. Take the pic with the camera further back, until it's focused, then zoom in, but don't move closer.)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol, ya i took those on my cell phone. Ill go snap some better picture with the camera and post them on here.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Springs felt fine, and even. Plates look a little warn but there flat.

Im just going to order plates and a clutch cable. I think everything else will suffice for now.

And now that i know exactly what im doing i dont see something like this taking more then 20-30 min to do.

Quick question, i have a product here a buddy dropped off, supposedly makes a gasket. All you have to do is run a line of it all the way around and then press your clutch cover to it. Let it dry for an hour. And your good to go.

Anyone ever use anything like this and does it work?

Anyway this is about as clear as 4mp ( i need a new camera) will get.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Actually, 4mp will get you amazing pics. My first digital camera was a 3.1mp, ten years ago. It shot amazing pics.

The image is in the shooter, not the camera. Take those items out into bright sunlight and they'll look a thousand times better.

Can't tell much by just looking at them. You need to compare them to a new set or get a dial caliper to read their thickness. Since you're going to replace them it's a moot point.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts