Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just made a deal on a left over 2004 sv650s, yellow, for my girlfriend. I ride a Hornet 900. We went to the showroom and she sat on the bike. She is on the balls of her feet. One of the reasons that I like this bike is that it can be lowered... not to mention it's a great all rounder! I see the two inch lowering kit for sale on whaccessories.com and I plan on buying it. The holeshot kit only lowers the bike one inch. Is there a better kit or one that can lower the bike three inches? I have read here that the gel seat doesn't lower the overall height?

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
Use the 1" kit,lower the seat by using firmer,shorter foam.You can only safely raise the forks 8mm. taller riding boots may be in order. :D

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
I would lower the bike the one inch and cut down the stock seat; actually if you can get away with just cutting down the seat, that's better. If you do lower the bike, make sure you do the front the same amount as the back. Another thing to think about is that lowering the bike wil exagerate the stock suspension flaws (this I know from experience)

G

·
0 Posts
Is she a new rider? 'Cause I know when I got my SVS I couldn't really go flat-footed while I was on it just 'cause I didn't know what I was doing, but now I can, no problem. Whole bike just seems smaller and lighter with some experience :) So if that's the case the problem may just work itself out naturally. Not that lowering it would be bad, just sayin' you probably don't need to go nuts with it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
diggiddy said:
pretty good price on corbin seat, lowers 2 inches i think, not sure exactly tho.
https://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=18364&cat=681&page=1
I don't think corbins lower the sv any, not sure about 03+ but 99-02 it doesn't lower it at all it even makes it seem higher because the corbin is wider than the stock seat. I have one and I am short but the benefit of a more comfortable seat to me outweighs the disadv of it being a schose higher, I cannot flat foot with both feet down I just usually keep one foot flat on the ground by sitting on the edge of the seat at intersections.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I thought I heard somewhere that it lowered, in any case that is good news, I wasnt going to get one for that reason, now I think I will.

A

·
0 Posts
should I wait to try lowering the seat?

ghezbora said:
Is she a new rider? 'Cause I know when I got my SVS I couldn't really go flat-footed while I was on it just 'cause I didn't know what I was doing, but now I can, no problem. Whole bike just seems smaller and lighter with some experience :) So if that's the case the problem may just work itself out naturally. Not that lowering it would be bad, just sayin' you probably don't need to go nuts with it.
I *just* bought an '03 sv650...and am still a very new rider - this is my second season. I had a Honda Shadow 600 vlx before, so this is a much different ride for me. I'm having some confidence issues when stopped - and then having to make a turn. javascript:emoticon(':oops:')

Should I just keep practicing and getting used to the new riding position before trying to lower the seat height? (I'm a girly-girl...5'5" tall)

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
Auntiejo, I'm between 5'4" and 5'5", I had the stock seat carved and that helped. You can lower the bike 1" and that will be huge, I was flat footed with a 1" lowering links in the back but decided to go back to stock because I installed a centerstand and it was too hard to get it on the centerstand lowered.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Try the Suzuki low seat first.

The Corbin is lower but wider which forces your legs apart more ... that kills the lowering advantage.

Cheapest fix if you are good with your hands and have a decent stapler is to go to an upholstery shop
and get dense automotive seat foam. Reshape the seat and staple the fabric back on.

Most people can do this job for under $25 ..

·
Registered
667 Posts
Currently said:
Try the Suzuki low seat first.

The Corbin is lower but wider which forces your legs apart more ... that kills the lowering advantage.

Cheapest fix if you are good with your hands and have a decent stapler is to go to an upholstery shop
and get dense automotive seat foam. Reshape the seat and staple the fabric back on.

Most people can do this job for under $25 ..
Return of the Dead (posts that is.) This thing is almost a year old.....what gives?

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
And you are quoting and blaming me ???

... ok, pouting session over ...

That was quick! ::)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Sorry, meant to hit "Reply" but hit "Quote" instead. Too lazy to hit the "Back" button. Is this "Ok" with you?

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
::)  OK, I guess ... <LOL>  ;) ;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts