Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

9901 - 9920 of 15750 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
They're on par with, say, a Miata in terms of acceleration. They just run out of top end. Their maintenance intervals are shorter than an SV because they spend a lot of time at high RPM. People do highway tours on them without a problem. If Lew sees this he may have a better opinion since he got one for his wife.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Thats what Im worried about. Shorter maintenance intervals means more wear and tear is being put on the motor. Her and I have been discussing it a lot and even the 250 sports bikes only save about 50 or more pounds. Its some difference but I dont know if its all that much on a 300-400 lb bike. The 250 cruisers save more weight. She took her course on a nighthawk and liked it. I dont see any for sale around here though. She didnt like the rebel at all so thats out. Just a lot to think about. She may just keep trying on the SV until she gets the hang of it. I think I may look into lowering it for her. Right now, she is on her tip toes holding the bike up (she is 5'4") so I think if we could get both feet flat on the ground that would help a lot. Anyone have any experience lowering the SV?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
50 lbs. can be a lot depending on where it's carrying it. If you're worried about the 250, there's also Ninja500s and GS500s. That said, I think your worries are unfounded. I've only heard of a couple blown engines, but that's true of most things. It sounds like height is her problem, not weight.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
50 lbs. can be a lot depending on where it's carrying it. If you're worried about the 250, there's also Ninja500s and GS500s. That said, I think your worries are unfounded. I've only heard of a couple blown engines, but that's true of most things. It sounds like height is her problem, not weight.
Well she learned to ride on a nighthawk which is much lighter and much lower. I assume the height is definitely an issue but the weight might be too. I looked at the Ninja 500 but the weight difference is negligible. I think Im going to try to adjust the height and see if that makes things better or not.

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
So the wife had an oopsie with the bike practicing quick stops in the parking lot. She thinks its too heavy for her so I think that may be the end of her riding until we can get her a smaller bike (in a year if we are lucky). I also had not put the frame sliders back on because I did not have a socket that would fit down the puck. Anyways, the damage: Turn signal, clutch lever and shifter are all broken. Anyone know where I can get cheap replacements?
I think I have a clutch lever you can have. I'll check when I get home tonight.
Edit: Oh, you found some already. :p Too slow!

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Was the bike the SV?

There arent a lot of bikes lighter than 400ish lbs. Any real weight difference and youll be down with the 250s.
Troof. Some of the parrallel 500's are close to the SV though. The SV isn't exactly a heavy bike.

50 lbs. can be a lot depending on where it's carrying it. If you're worried about the 250, there's also Ninja500s GS500s That said, I think your worries are unfounded. I've only heard of a couple blown engines, but that's true of most things. It sounds like height is her problem, not weight.
This. Height makes a bike seem heavier if you can't flat foot it. Once you're rolling weight shouldn't be too big of an issue. But if you're stopped and the bike starts tipping, and you can't flat foot it easily, that 50lbs can be killer, especially if the bike carries it's weight high.

Like EM said, Lax, maybe look into something like an older GS500, Ninja 500, or even something like an older CB (not neccesarily lighter, but definitely lower) or something like that. They have enough pep to hit the highway, but are a little shorter and probably would make it easier to get her feet down flat, which is a BIG confidence booster.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I think I have a clutch lever you can have. I'll check when I get home tonight.
Edit: Oh, you found some already. :p Too slow!
Thanks anyway!

This. Height makes a bike seem heavier if you can't flat foot it. Once you're rolling weight shouldn't be too big of an issue. But if you're stopped and the bike starts tipping, and you can't flat foot it easily, that 50lbs can be killer, especially if the bike carries it's weight high.

Like EM said, Lax, maybe look into something like an older GS500, Ninja 500, or even something like an older CB (not neccesarily lighter, but definitely lower) or something like that. They have enough pep to hit the highway, but are a little shorter and probably would make it easier to get her feet down flat, which is a BIG confidence booster.
Yea I have been looking into lowering the SV since she dropped it last night. I figure that will be cheaper than getting a new bike I cannot afford right now. Depending how she does with the lowered SV, she will either keep that or we will get her a new bike once we have the money. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
So I read through the vertically challenged thread and there are so many mixed messages about lowering the bike and how to do it that I dont even know what to think. Blah

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
You can lower it a couple of inches with lowering links or different dogbones, and slide the forks up into the triples a little, I think, and it will be ok. I don't think your wife is going to be railing the twisties and blasting knees hard enough to worry about the slightly comprimised geometry.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
You can lower it a couple of inches with lowering links or different dogbones, and slide the forks up into the triples a little, I think, and it will be ok. I don't think your wife is going to be railing the twisties and blasting knees hard enough to worry about the slightly comprimised geometry.
Yea but I will be riding the bike too until we can afford a second one lol

·
Registered
717 Posts
Yea but I will be riding the bike too until we can afford a second one lol
If you only need an inch shorter, I would first try picking up a second seat and getting it repadded and covered. I know greatdaytoride.com will mod a seat lower and put in a gel cushion for not much. I had my seat modded by him, but non-lowered and it is pretty good.

Maybe if you search someone has a quick removal seat mod so you can swap more easily. Not that it's hard as is.

Then if you still need to adjust the suspension it will be a less drastic change.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Anyone put bikemaster turn signals on? Sounded like it would be a direct plug in job but its not. I got everything of but it looks like I have to splice and reconnect wires. Plus the bolt at the end of the signal is too wide to fit into the piece of plastic on the back that it attaches to. Any tips?

Ram Cycles also fixed by shifter for me for $10. When I got home, I realized they put it on the wrong side though blah so I have to go back in the morning.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Anyone put bikemaster turn signals on? Sounded like it would be a direct plug in job but its not. I got everything of but it looks like I have to splice and reconnect wires. Plus the bolt at the end of the signal is too wide to fit into the piece of plastic on the back that it attaches to. Any tips?

Ram Cycles also fixed by shifter for me for $10. When I got home, I realized they put it on the wrong side though blah so I have to go back in the morning.
Yes, you'll need to cut and twist or solder the wires together, don't forget + -> +, - -> -. The shifter should be pretty simple as well, do you have a service manual? These are pretty easy things to do so if you want to get into wrenching at all this would be where to start. Let me know if you need help, im over in Rockville.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Yes, you'll need to cut and twist or solder the wires together, don't forget + -> +, - -> -. The shifter should be pretty simple as well, do you have a service manual? These are pretty easy things to do so if you want to get into wrenching at all this would be where to start. Let me know if you need help, im over in Rockville.
What do I do about the bolt thats too big for the plastic backing? I dont know why these stupid signals dont come with instructions. Blah

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
I'm driving the Focus FINALLY!

Took it to get it final inspected, after I fixed what failed. Got pulled over a block away from the inspection station and got a ticket for expired tags. Told the officer I was on the way to get it inspected, then over to the MVA. She was polite, but had to write the ticket. She said to take the paperwork to court showing that I got it inspected and tagged right after the ticket and the judge will probably let me slide.

Let's hope so!

Oh yeah, it's a helluva lot of fun to drive!

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
So I got everything fixed except the clutch lever but I can still use that until the replacement comes. Looks like a good day for a ride!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Yea it was. I just dont think she will be able to go out riding with us on a 250 because we get on I270 to go anywhere we want to ride and everything I have read says not to take a 250 on the interstate.
What kind of pickup do they have from 60-80? At that speed and on I270, you need to be able to speed up effectively to avoid the idiots. Plus, is it ok to be riding the bike at max speed or near max speed for any length of time?
Thats what Im worried about. Shorter maintenance intervals means more wear and tear is being put on the motor. Her and I have been discussing it a lot and even the 250 sports bikes only save about 50 or more pounds. Its some difference but I dont know if its all that much on a 300-400 lb bike. The 250 cruisers save more weight. She took her course on a nighthawk and liked it. I dont see any for sale around here though. She didnt like the rebel at all so thats out. Just a lot to think about. She may just keep trying on the SV until she gets the hang of it. I think I may look into lowering it for her. Right now, she is on her tip toes holding the bike up (she is 5'4") so I think if we could get both feet flat on the ground that would help a lot. Anyone have any experience lowering the SV?
I weight 240 lbs. and the Ninja 250 carries me down route 50 at 80-90 indicated just fine. Passing and other maneuvers at 60mph take some forethought and time. The motor is designed to spend most of there time at 10,000rpm and above. The valve clearance check interval is a little short at 7500 miles but working on the bike is very easy. Check out http://www.ninjette.org/forums/index.php lots of good info. on that site. Jen is only about 5-4 and she can flat foot it. She has also come very close to dropping it in the driveway just moving it around, but she was able to pick it up. I can't imagine a better bike for a new, small rider and it makes a really nice second bike or me to rail around on.

9901 - 9920 of 15750 Posts