Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably not too many Guzzisti on this forum, and maybe not a lot of "cruiser" fans, either, but I thought I would post this up and get some opinions / reactions to what is probably the most important new Moto Guzzi since Piaggio Group began revamping the line with the introduction of the Breva 1100 in 2004 --

the 2013 Moto Guzzi California 1400 -- to be available in two versions --

Touring:

Custom:

Air/oil cooled 1400cc longitudinal v-twin; 96 hp @ 6,500 rpm and 90 ft./lbs. torque @ 2,750 rpm (7,000 rpm redline); 6-speed transmission with dry clutch and shaft final drive; ride-by-wire throttle; three engine maps; three traction control modes; electronic cruise control; radial Brembo disc brakes with ABS; cast aluminum spoke-look wheels; LED daytime running lights; electronic theft deterrent with GPS tracking.

http://www.infomotori.com/moto/2012/11/09/moto-guzzi-california-1400/2/3/

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I'd rather a Griso. My next bike or additional bike might be a Goose. I'd prefer an older V11, especially the LeMans. Saw one on Ebay, but too far away. They do seem to hold their value. I do like the look of the custom. The Breva line was boring and a step back from the V11 in my view. I don't seem to like what Piaggio is doing with Guzzi. I wish Guzzi could find a buyer that actually cared about the marque. The Norge is dated and comparable to the older R1150RT, not the current 1200RT.

The V7 is a looker, but too underpowered when compared to a Bonnie. I do like the idea of a smaller bike with a shaft drive. I am a fan of Guzzi. Their limited track only superbike is just stunning.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
M-G has commited to the cruiser thing. I think the Griso power-cruiser was intersting in a maladaptive, hideous way. And they made some good cop bikes from time to time. But I still prefer the standard and sport models.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
I think the custom version looks pretty nice. It's got some cool factor to it, but I just don't see it pulling a lot of sales away from the HD crowd. They'll sell a bunch as 'upgrade' bikes to current Japanese cruiser owners, but I just don't see many HD owners crossing over. It's unfortunate, because these bikes (at least on paper) have a lot to offer the segment.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm. Not too much enthusiasm (as I suspected). Maybe a little cheesecake (from this weeks' EICMA) will help?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I'd certainly give them a look if I were in the market for a cruiser. Just as I'd have to give the Stelvio NTX serious consideration if I were looking for a mongo ADV bike. I even like the Griso 8V se in the funny green with the brown leather seat.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'll probably buy a cruiser in 5 years or so for roadtrips and whatnot. And I'd totally buy the custom one! It looks awesome, mean, AND comfortable...

But I've got my eyes on the new Vmax.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.