Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·

It's got a good look to it, at least in that shot. Good continuity, complementary shapes, minimal BS...and zero Terblanche factor!

:)

G

·
danthony12321 said:
I think the tail looks exactly like a Duc Monster. But still a very nice looking bike.
I agree. I looks lire the tail of the Monster. Overall, it's a good looking bike.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess it looks a little monster-y. But like someone spun the engine 90º...

·
Registered
241 Posts
I love it...except for the engine. I can't stand the sideways v-twin. Looks completely fugly to me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I saw a couple of these at Moto Italiano in San Jose....pretty sweet-looking bikes, along with a number of old and new Triumphs in the showroom. I love the styling on these types of bikes.

How do you guys feel about Guzzi's, and Triumphs? What about this particular dealership? The stuff I saw (accessories and bikes) tended to be on the higher end of things (heck, even the gloves were in the $230-$250 range). Craziness.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
TS80 said:
Overall I like it.

I don't know about the swingarm though.
that's what happens with the shaft drive system. all kinds of weird swingarm configurations.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What makes Italians bikes so high maintenance? I heard a couple same the same sorts of comments about Ducatis.

Ivan said:
Some people swear by them and others complain about the dodgy electronics. I think they are like any Italian bike; high maintainance.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I've always liked the Guzzis.....and one reason is the sideways-mounted engine. It puts the cylinders out in the airflow, and just like the opposed BMW twins, it also puts all of the componentry that needs scheduled maintenance right out in the open as well. Unlike the BMWs, the rocker covers aren't a few inches off of the pavement. The BMWs are horizontally opposed which cancels out much of the effect of having the engine sideways in the chassis. The "V" configuration of the Guzzis allows them to rock the bike sideways a little bit when you blip the throttle......just like the big V-8 under the hood of a car does. I think that would be uber-cool in a muscle bike styled like the Griso.

Guzzis aren't high maintenance at all.....they're built for the long haul. I read an article on their engine building facility a while back that stated about 9 out of 10 of the engines they produce end up in bikes. The remaining 10% or so of their big twins end up in un-manned drone aircraft. The big Guzzi V's look "industrial tough" and they live up to their appearance.

This photo will give you an idea about how slowly the final design product makes it to production. This is me in the Guzzi booth at the IMS Cycle World Show in Minneapolis in February of '04. Minneapolis is one of the last shows destinations on the circuit, so this show was on the road starting in the fall of '03. Check out the photo behind me on the booth wall.....it's the final Griso rendering, and they even had hand-out flyer info sheets on the bike back then.....

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
my biggest problem with a guzzi, is that there is no dealer close enuf too me, and that if there were one close to me, the dealership network is too sparce

·
Registered
397 Posts
Oooh I've been lusting after a Griso for a while... I've also drooled over the V11 Scura (blacked out, carbon adorned, Ohlins sprung production café racer).

"unreliability" and "high maintenance" are common misconceptions about Italian machinery. Moto Guzzis are bulletproof - just not put together in the most careful way. And the old ones had crap electrics, but then again everything did before the Japanese swamped the market. Ducatis require more-than-normal valve inspection, but it's nothing crazy, especially if you know how to do your own work.

However, Italian bikes do not respond well to abuse or neglect, so most people hear horror stories after some dipstick left his Desmo in a barn for 5 months and pulled it out to find most of it didn't work anymore. Or some rich squid pops a wheelie on his 916 and oil sprays out the rear crankcase vent through the airbox.

I have a simple test for BS regarding bikes - I ask the person "have you owned (bike in question)?" then "have you ridden (bike in question)?" followed by "do you actually know anyone else that owns (bike in question)?". If the answer is no to 2 of the 3, I stop listening.

·
Registered
301 Posts
TestaStretta said:
I have a simple test for BS regarding bikes - I ask the person "have you owned (bike in question)?" then "have you ridden (bike in question)?" followed by "do you actually know anyone else that owns (bike in question)?". If the answer is no to 2 of the 3, I stop listening.
Those are good criteria. I'm gonna lay those three questions on the next 'motor mouth' I run in to that is talking out of his a$$.

·
Registered
397 Posts
sheik*yerbouti said:
Those are good criteria.  I'm gonna lay those three questions on the next 'motor mouth' I run in to that is talking out of his a$$.
Hahaha, glad I could be of service.

BTW, my answers are no, yes, yes - many.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts