Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Suzuki factory low seat from the local dealer. I paid $65.00 for it which I thought was a bargan! Here are some of my thoughts and observations. 1) Definitely lowers your ride height, approximately 1 1/2 inches.. I'm 5-10 and I could barely put my feet flat on the ground before the low seat. Now, my feet set firmly on the ground. 2) Sitting lower in the seat also puts you lower behind the windshield. I've noticed less wind turbulance on my helmet. 3) Seems like sitting lower also lowers the center of gravity. Cornering seems easier for me. 4) Sitting lower changes the angle at which you grip the handle bars. The angle is more moderate (upright) and seems easier on the wrists. 5) The low seat is broader and not shaped as sharply. Seems like it is more confortable on my behind! The only down side I could see is for taller riders. I had my buddy who is 6-3 jump on it and he had a hard time with the seat to foot peg distance. At 5-10 I like it! OK, not to say that this seat is the answer to all your problems, but I have found it to be a positive improvment for a small amount of $!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmmm, that seat looks a lot like the standard factory one! The low seat doesn't look as "pointed" in the middle area of the seat. I can tell you that my seat came with NO instructions and the box did have a factory part number. It is 45100-16G90-W05. This part number fits 04-05 SVs. Check with Oneida?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update! Just went on a 50 mile ride and no butt hurt! I'm loving it! Who needs a Corbin or Sergant!

·
Registered
653 Posts
sorry for the threadjack....but has anyone tried removing the skin from a corbin and trimming away some material from the top to lower the overall height? There was a thread about this for the stock seat, but not aftemarket...

·
Registered
127 Posts
cyclerider105 said:
Update!  Just went on a 50 mile ride and no butt hurt!  I'm loving it!  Who needs a Corbin or Sergant!
so then its more comfortable than the stock one aswell? softer or or something? im about the same hight so this is lookin like a good idea to me too. ;D glad your enjoyin it. ride on!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where I am thinking the extra "comfort" is coming from is the fact that the low seat is not as "pointed" as the stock seat in the middle. It has been shaved down and appears broader and more flat. Hince my theory is that your butt is allowed to spread out over a larger area. Not sure if this is scientifically accurate, but the butt O meter says it is an improvement.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I built a custom subframe and seat... I made it as low as the frame would allow.
I definitely agree that it makes leaning over less scary.

I don't know why they make "sport" bikes so high these days but it feels very unnatural to me...

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good point! Who knows, but I definitely agree that a lower center of mass helps out in handling!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The thread has some good pictures, but I'll post one anyway since it is on a much faster yellow bike!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts