Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

· Premium Member
948 Posts
Do you still have these or no?

· Registered
1,726 Posts
:/ Do they just drip down the sprocket? I don't wanna put them up against the teeth. If you could get a picture that would be awesome.
Yep. It drips down the sprocket and centripetal force spreads it onto the chain as you ride.

It was tough getting a good closeup... especially using the sh!tty iPhone camera, but here's the best one I got:

from the left, showing the guides against the sprocket:

from the right side:

where I mounted the reservoir, and the tubing route:

I set it just behind the teeth of the sprocket. This way when the bike is rolling backwards it won't catch on the oil guides.

Yeah... I suck at taking pictures with my phone.

· Registered
8,007 Posts
I really recommend anyone that's has maintenance as a high priority on their list to get some kind of automatic oiling system. Whether it be scottoiler or loobman(I do not have personal experience with a loobman system). When I got my bike, I got the scottoiler installed. I don't thing the previous owner cleaned the chain and neither have I. Haven't had to.

Yes, there are those that religiously check their chain slack, clean their chain and spray some stuff on either every week or month. God bless you for having the time in your schedules to do that.

· Registered
1,726 Posts
Well, my next 'mod' will be to remove this Loobman oiler and install it in the bottom of my garbage can. The oil reservoir leaks. There is a nice puddle of oil on top of my chain guard, and that splashes onto my tire. Not only does oil leak out, water leaks in. I now have about a 50/50 mix of oil and water in the reservoir. Since water sinks to the bottom, I can only 'lube' my chain with water. Lastly, the push button is terrible. I have to push and hold it, then push down a few more times for any oil to enter the tubing (when there isn't water in the reservoir, of course). It's getting worse the longer I have it on (less than a month now). I likely just got a lemon... But regardless, I'll be going back to regular chain maintenance until I spend the money for a Scottoiler.

· Registered
2,361 Posts
max384, I emailed the maker of the loobman. He claims he only recently found out about the water leaking into the reservoir and is trying to fix it. You might want to send him an email.

I don't have a problem with oil leaking out on mine.

· Registered
152 Posts
Another alternative to Scottoiler is the Tutoro auto oiler. It installs just like the Loobman without having to plug into a vacuum line or tap into electrical and it uses inertial to automatically oil while you ride.

· Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Well, my next 'mod' will be to remove this Loobman oiler and install it in the bottom of my garbage can. The oil reservoir leaks. There is a nice puddle of oil on top of my chain guard, and that splashes onto my tire. Not only does oil leak out, water leaks in. I now have about a 50/50 mix of oil and water in the reservoir. Since water sinks to the bottom, I can only 'lube' my chain with water. Lastly, the push button is terrible. I have to push and hold it, then push down a few more times for any oil to enter the tubing (when there isn't water in the reservoir, of course). It's getting worse the longer I have it on (less than a month now). I likely just got a lemon... But regardless, I'll be going back to regular chain maintenance until I spend the money for a Scottoiler.
LOL!...I also modified my Loobman oiler by removing it from my bike and tossing it.

Same issue. Reservoir leaked all over.

Also, the forked feeder mechanism kinds self-destruckted. I was VERY carefull in placement and mounting and it did work great for a few thousand miles.

back to oiling by hand every 500 miles.

· Registered
2,361 Posts

First I would again like to say thank you for the feedback you offered regarding the Loobman AB chainoiler and I was especially grateful for your pointing out the serious flaw, that the unit is prone to leaking and allowing rainwater into the reservoir.

Most internet reviews are meaningless (see the “Ride” article for example) so I don’t read many of them and, having had my own Loobman tucked inside the nose fairing of my Fazer, I had not been aware of the leak. All the same it’s a little strange that so many people are so busy telling the world about it that they couldn’t find the time to tell me! Thanks again.

The mould has gone back to the toolmaker for changes to make the next batch waterproof and I have just placed an order for waterproof caps to fit all existing Loobman AB chainoilers. The caps should be here in about a week.

As a small independent company it would be impossible to “recall” all the sold units but with the new cap fitted, the unit will work quite normally and it will be impossible for water to enter the reservoir.

If you could please supply me with your address I will send you one of these caps, complete with fitting instructions, as soon as they arrive.

As a gesture of thanks for your feedback and your patience, there will be no charge for this, however I would be very grateful for any further feedback you may wish to offer.
Just got that from the maker!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.