Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to install my Hagon, can't get the damn bolt out that attaches the dogbones to the swingarm. I just can't pull or push it out.
No weight on the swingarm, shock preload is at miniumum, but that stinking bolt won't budge. Any idea why I can't get it out?
With the nut off, right side dogbone off, I thought I should just be able to slide it out... Don't want to hose my bushing or the threads, leery of smacking it with a BFH. Any clues?

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Re: @*#& !!!!

Patience my son, it will come when its ready to.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

evilbologna said:
Patience my son, it will come when its ready to.
Patience my *** :mad:

Duh, if I loosen the top shock mount will that relieve the pressure on the dogbones?

·
Registered
514 Posts

MagpieTear said:
Patience my *** :mad:

Duh, if I loosen the top shock mount will that relieve the pressure on the dogbones?
NO. But taking the weight off the rear of the bike will.

Either jack the bike up from the motor, with the front wheel on the ground, and the rear on a stand.

Or hook some tie downs to the subframe, and start ratcheting.

·
Registered
490 Posts

I put mine on a rearstand, then lifted the frame from the ceiling. All the bolts down there slide in and out really easily by hand.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

+1.

Hang the bike from the rear subframe to take all the weight off the shock. If you think you're getting good at creative verbage right now, wait till you try to put it all back together... :mad: :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts

Wait, there is still weight on the shock? Thats why if that is so. Ya shouldnt have to change the preload on the shock, it doesnt matter. Needs to be zero weight on the swingarm, or at least very little.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

i'd like to see a pic of the whole thing. ;D

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

Just to be clear: A swingarm stand or rear spool stand does not remove weight from the shock; easiest way to do this is to lift from the rear subframe...

·
Registered
490 Posts

I did the rear stand for stability, then lifted the weight off the swingarm with a come-along attached to the ceiling. I can post pics later if someone wants. I plan on greasing the bearings and torqueing the bolts on my dogbones and shock later today.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Okay, old shock out, new one in. I had the weight of the bike supported by a 3/8 steel rod through the swingarm pivot, and the rods on a pair of jackstands. strap on the subframe looped over a ceiling joist mostly for stability.

The problem was the weight of the wheel pulling the swingarm down was binding the bolt. Since I'm not an octopus, ran another strap through the wheel and over the subframe (rear bodywork is off for other reasons) and lifted the wheel. Bingo, nice and easy. :D New shock in, everything was still held in place so re-assembly was quick and easy.

Note to self: Start on that News Years Resolution about thinking more and simply reacting less a day early!

Pics later

·
Registered
895 Posts

OOH, handy way to get the bike up! I was fearing the construction of a hang-from-ceiling harness. One more roadblock gone!
Can't wait to see pix.

·
Registered
136 Posts

easiest way is put it on a rear stand...

run a piece of rod through the swingarm pivot and put jack stands on ethier side and take it off the stand... worked great for me..

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts

I had the whole wheel off, so thats why it probably worked better for me.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

MagpieTear said:
Okay, old shock out, new one in. I had the weight of the bike supported by a 3/8 steel rod through the swingarm pivot, and the rods on a pair of jackstands. strap on the subframe looped over a ceiling joist mostly for stability.

The problem was the weight of the wheel pulling the swingarm down was binding the bolt. Since I'm not an octopus, ran another strap through the wheel and over the subframe (rear bodywork is off for other reasons) and lifted the wheel. Bingo, nice and easy. :D New shock in, everything was still held in place so re-assembly was quick and easy.

Note to self: Start on that News Years Resolution about thinking more and simply reacting less a day early!

Pics later

That reminds me, I seem to recall using my legs and feet to provide leverage in raising and lowering the wheel to solve that exact problem. Had to re-acquaint myself with life as our much earlier ancestors (the ones that just lost their tails) lived it...

Now that it's in: Go wring the snot out of it and report back! ;D

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

TBone said:
OOH, handy way to get the bike up! I was fearing the construction of a hang-from-ceiling harness. One more roadblock gone!
Can't wait to see pix.
Can't claim the glory of this one, I believe it was OG that clued me in on the 3/8 steel rod idea. The hang from the ceiling harness was used, as a piece of mind.

Six Chin Skinny said:
Now that it's in: Go wring the snot out of it and report back! ;D
Sure if it ever quits raining and goes above 40 degrees...
Going to need some bodies to come over and help me set the sag on either end since it's all new suspension at either end

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts

Do you want to be the guinea pig for my new setting sag invention .... ;)

I was going to write up a procedure but now is as good a time to do it.
Send you a PM...

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Currently said:
Do you want to be the guinea pig for my new setting sag invention .... ;)

I was going to write up a procedure but now is as good a time to do it.
Send you a PM...
Sure, I'm game...

·
Registered
490 Posts

Hey Currently -

I still gotta torque down my nuts (pardon...hehe) - then do the sag on mine.

Mind PM-ing it to me too?

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Okay, pics for TBone and anyone else interested

3/8" steel rod 36" long (30 would have been better according to my kneecaps) fed through the swingarm pivot and resting on jackstands. Lifted the bike with a plain old floor jack. Strap added afterwards to ease my mind while underneath the bike.

Ain't it purty? Thanks Troy!!!

Draining the forks on the same rod. Pumped them out into the coffee can and then let them drip dry while I went and had banana peppers stuffed with Andouille Sausage and rice. Yum! What blew me away was how nasty the oil inside the forks was. I'm guessing it was a clear red from the factory, but it was nasty when it came out. Looked like there was some toxic waste in there... Everythings now reassembled with new spacers and springs (Thanks KT!) and fresh oil

How many SV parts can you find? Careful, there are others mixed in as well. ;) And no, you can not have any of my 10/4 mahogany...

Once I set the sag, it will be a waiting game for a day warm and dry enough to test out the new legs.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts