Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving from a 07 Ninja 250 to a 09 SV650SF and am currently looking for insurance.

I am 23 y/o male, no tickets or accidents EVER on a bike or car.

I got progressive right now and pay about $500 for the Ninja 250. PRogressive quoted me at over $1200 for the exact same coverage for the SV650SF. This suprised me, an increase of $700 for 400 more CCs.

Needless to say I don't think I will be renewing with progressive, Esurance came out to $850 for the same coverage.

Geico and State Farm say I have to call them

But then I checked Rider and they quoted me at about $450 for the same exact coverage. I couldn't believe it! Why is rider so much more inexpensive. LEss then what I pay for the Ninja 250!!!! IS there something I should know about Rider before I commit? Is there some sort of lack of coverage I should be aware of?

Thank you for any feedback.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had heard about how affordable Rider was from several people when I started riding last year. As far as I know they are a fine company to insure with. I have not had to deal with them since I signed up last June, so no feedback on claims handling or anything like that.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Did you attempt a brand new quote with Progressive INSTEAD of logging into your policy and quoting a change?

I did and my rate dropped from $750 to $422 a year with full coverage on my SV1K and comprehensive only on my GSXF600

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
same here ...

also, Rider's cheap policy only covers the minumium, (15/30/15) not enough coverage for anything.
I think you can opt for higher...but you have to pay for it. Its been so long since i've had Rider i don't honestly know anymore. All i know is that state farm has been awesome about cutting rebate checks, multi line discounts and what not. For my 2003 600RR i pay ~300 a year for full coverage no different than on my truck with a $500 deductible.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like I may go for rider.

They do offer more then the minimum and I actually upped the coverage and it still only comes out to about $520. Looks like I'm going to go with Rider for this year and see what happens next year to my rates. Even if next year is more expensive, the year after I hit 25 which is known for a huge decrease in insurance costs supposedly.

I also went to the bank today and hopefully will get approved for a 6.5 % loan for the bike (much better then Suzuki's 17%) If this all goes into motion, I will be the owner of a 2009 SV650 by April 1st.

I appreciate everybodies help and feedback!

·
Registered
856 Posts
actually if you figure it out 650 is about 2.5 x 250 so you're getting 25cc for free he he,could they're risk calculations actually be that simplistic? lucky you/us;i've got foremost at about 800 ish so i guess i'm ok. this long winter has me rethinking ins for next year, i'll have to ask about a "storage mode" for insurance.

·
Registered
181 Posts
New Jersey insurance questions.

When I was shopping for a new SV I used Progressive for quotes. They had different prices for 08's & 09's. :nana: I found Progressive really funny.

In NJ I ended up staying w/ Rider for my SV & DR cheaper than Progressive would do for the SV only.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Because they are going to jack it up to $1200 next year. At least, that's what they did to me.
+1. I was paying $250ish for about 3 years. Then one day 2 years ago I got my renewal: $1200! I called them up and they said they reclassified the bike. I reminded them I had no accidents/tickets/claims. They said "tough".

State Farm got my insurance. I moved the truck/car over also because they beat the Geico price I had on those.

Rider can shove it after that.
ac

·
Registered
811 Posts
+1. I was paying $250ish for about 3 years. Then one day 2 years ago I got my renewal: $1200! I called them up and they said they reclassified the bike. I reminded them I had no accidents/tickets/claims. They said "tough".

State Farm got my insurance. I moved the truck/car over also because they beat the Geico price I had on those.

Rider can shove it after that.
ac
They did the same thing to me only it was 5 years ago. Funny how the exact same bike is "classified" differently for different people at different times.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts