Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to lower the front end of my bike without tie down straps. I was thinking of cutting old stock springs and dropping in huge spacers with them to almost bottom out the forks. This way I don't have to drain oil, remove emulators, or deal with straps.

What you guys think?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is only 10-15mm safely... that's not not much. Also that dosn't take away the "spring push" during a Drag launch.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
If you plan on riding the bike to the drag strip....... I wouldnt do that.

T

·
0 Posts
treoff said:
I want to lower the front end of my bike without tie down straps. I was thinking of cutting old stock springs and dropping in huge spacers with them to almost bottom out the forks. This way I don't have to drain oil, remove emulators, or deal with straps.

What you guys think?
forks will still extend when you get on gas.
if you want to keep front down you can put longer rebound spring inside,you do have to take them apart to do so.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
forks will still extend when you get on gas.
if you want to keep front down you can put longer rebound spring inside,you do have to take them apart to do so.
I don't want to go that far.

The forks will only extend the length of what the spring is pushing... I can keep the spring to lets say 200 mm and fill with spacer. Then set the race sag to 20mm and have the oil height to 50mm or so....

This might be more work then it's worth.... but I just want to find a use for those old springs :x

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Not exactly

Fork extension is limited mechanically. No matter what you do to the spring, if you are able to set the sag the maximum fork length is the same. The minumum fork length will change if you put a short enough spring and long enough spacer in there. You can get to the point where you coil bind the spring in compression. Not a good idea, the front end goes solid.

Raising the forks in the triple clamps is somewhat limited by the fender and the lower triple clamp. Gotta be careful.

Lowering the front too much can cause straight line stability problems. Couple that with a dodgy suspension setup and you could get into handling problems.

Lowering the front on a 60 HP bike will not gain you much in terms of weight transfer. You would be more effective in the end by learning how to change your position on the bike. Sit forward and tall for launch, slide back and down on the tank to minimize wind resistance.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The minumum fork length will change if you put a short enough spring and long enough spacer in there. You can get to the point where you coil bind the spring in compression. Not a good idea, the front end goes solid.
That is what I was more thinking about, I am doing this to keep the front wheel on the ground for a harder launch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts