Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I found this forum after finding out this bike is for sale. It belongs to a friend/co-worker of mine, I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy it, and I wanted the opinion of this forum.

He only wants $1k for it, and that seems like a pretty good price to me :dontknow:... It rides and runs great. It rattles at idle, but from what I've found on the forum it's something to do with the gears being straight cut. Is this correct? The rattle goes away as soon as you touch the throttle.

I know it needs tires, and plan on that if I get it.

The bad part: It has a rebuilt title, but my buddy bought it fixed in '04 and hasn't had any problems with it. It drives straight, and I figure that any problems that there would be would've come up by now.

Pics:

What can I do about the edges of the tach. curling up like that? Does it need to be completely replaced or can I put a new face on it?

I am new to this bike, but not new to motorcycling. My dad has 2 Harleys and I've taken one on vacation up the west coast of Michigan and down to Tennessee and North Carolina. I plan on taking this on vacation also! From what I've read it's not bad to do...

Thanks everyone!!!

-Andrew

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, does anyone know what aftermarket parts are on this/what brand(s) they are, as the only thing my buddy did to it is put the front turn signals on it. I'm mostly interested in the windscreen and exhaust.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
If it's been maintained right, the mileage isn't an issue. Might be worth it to have it checked out by a qualified mechanic though, as well as checking the frame alignment.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
$1k is a steal for the bike if it runs well. 22k is nothing for an SV, I'm at 49k and still running very strong on my 02. You can wet sand smooth the rear cowl and repaint it with a spray can and get great results. You can also recover both front and rear seats for about $12 at home with just some heat and a staple gun

And the tach face isn't all that big of a deal either, may 00 and 01 have peeling tachs so it's a common SV issue.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a Suzuki dealer not too far from here, I may have them check it out. I could check the valve clearance myself (I am a Toyota technician by trade), but not too keen on adjusting them myself. I'm not too worried about the paint on the tail or the tear in the seat, I figure I may drop it once or twice so I don't want to fix it now (but thanks for the advice).

I may be doing some 2-up touring so I'm wondering about rear seat options (gf has a bony a$$ lol). I saw the thread where the guy rebuilt the seat with the gel inserts so I may do that if anything.

EDIT: What can I do about the tach. peeling? Does the whole tach. need replaced, or just the face?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Max Pitts is about 1.5 hrs away. I think that's where the bike came from originally. But it's on my way to Indy, which I frequent.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool! Are there any good get-togethers in Indy other than the MotoGP race? I lived there while I was going to Lincoln Tech, but I didn't have a bike then.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
GP is the biggest one. There are a few Svers from the region and I have several friends that ride as well... If I hear of anything I'll let you know

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The rear subframe is bent. Obvious in the Pic from the rear when you compare it to the orientation of the rear tire. That would lead me to really look hard for other frame alignment issues.

A grand is pretty much chump change, however. If the tweakage isn't a safety issue and the powerplant is good, it seems to be a pretty reasonable deal for some 2 wheeled transpo. I've seen worse out there sell for more.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I'd say go for it, subframe is tweaked a little, other cosmetic damage. One thing about the Sv is it has a super noisy valve train no matter if it's all set right or not...just the nature of the beast, but it'd be good to make sure it's nothing serious before you buy it.

1k is a pretty good deal I think, you can get almost twice that if you part it out.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
The engine noise is likely just timing chains. Most svs make noise at idle. It should go away as it revs and it shouldn't be excessive...

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
How much for the subframe?

And thanks, but I'm not interested in changing the bodywork, I like it just how it is now!
You can try to re bend it back into alignment, should be an easy fix.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
The engine noise is likely just timing chains. Most svs make noise at idle. It should go away as it revs and it shouldn't be excessive...
Yep what he said, but most people are'nt used to hearing Sv's and compared to any other bike it is pretty excessive lol, I almost brought mine back to the dealership on day one to have it looked at lol, now everyone freaks out at how noisy it is and tells me I need to do something about it, I don't even hear it any more lol.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Looks like the subframe is tweeked from the rear photo, maybe its just the angle, .......nope it's tweeked, get the frame checked.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts