Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - New here and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Purchased a well known local '03 track bike from a reputable 2nd owner because I knew the original owner really well and he recommended it for me....

BLUF: 2nd owner left the the bike sitting for 18 months and the tank rusted up so I purchased the bike cheap cheap with the expectation that it would be an easy fix. Worst case scenario is that I could part out the Power Commander and Penske Shock and get my money back...

1) Pre-start maintenance: Pulled and cleaned sparkplugs, added tablespoon of oil into each cylinder, flushed the coolant system, bought and installed a new gas tank, but left the original fuel pump because it looked like it had just surface rust and installed a new battery. Tried to start and the bike turns over fine with no strange noises but won't start.

2) Turning the key you can hear the fuel pump cycle and the plates in the throttle body move (Lifted the tank and took off the top of the airbox).

3) I then poured a little fuel into the throttle bodies and the bike ran for ~20 sec and then died.

4) I unhooked the fuel line from the fuel pump side and the fuel flowed freely...(not sure if it should flow freely or not and/or if that's what it should do?)

I'm thinking that because the bike ran fine when the owner parked it and it runs with a little gas, the only thing I can think of is a bad fuel pump or the throttle bodies need to be cleaned but I'd welcome any other input...

Thanks in Advance

Frank

·
Registered
688 Posts
I would assume you emptied the stale gas first.

If not def do that...

Also try some injector cleaner.

Other than that you might want to just get another tank, they are for sale all over... got one on ebay practically brand new for 250.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry...i was unclear...I purchased a used but rust free tank on ebay and installed that...but left the original fuel pump...and i did pour some seafoam into the throttle bodies as well...

·
Super Moderator
7,038 Posts
It's not getting fuel, and based on what you have tested so far, I would say the injectors are plugged.

Getting some Seafoam in the system, as close to the injectors as possible, may eventually get things flowing. If not, there are places that will clean and test them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i dont mean to jack this thread but on the note of fuel injection cleaner is there a specific kind or will the injection cleaner for lets say cars work the same way? obviously not adding the whole bottle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you might be right about the fuel injectors...I had the entire fuel system off this morning and tested the flow of the fuel pump...it flows with no problem and then I pulled off the airbox and the throttle bodies...they seem clean and everything looked fine from the outside but I couldn't get the injector mount off b/c I was afraid of stripping the 4 brass screws that hold the plates on...

It only took me < 20 Min to have the whole system off, so I'm thinking I might just buy a working one off of ebay and take my chances that this is the problem...any last ideas?

·
Super Moderator
7,038 Posts
I wouldn't start buying stuff yet. Make sure all of the old fuel is out of the lines and reassemble everything.

Be prepared to crank a bit. Have a 2A charger ready. Crank for 10 seconds then let it sit for 30 seconds. Do that 3 or 4 times then charge for an hour or more.

If it still doesn't start let it sit overnight and try again. Occasionally open the throttle 1/4 turn while cranking if it hasn't started with it closed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Since you reused the old fuel pump and you stated the other tank was rusted, I would check your fuel output. Truthfully I have never seen a bike come in with a rusted tank that did not need a pump, and I have worked for my shop for 6.5 years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts