Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just picked this bike up a few weeks ago and its never given me a problem until the other day. started it up 2 days ago and it was only running on 1 cylinder, figured it was due for plugs slammed new plugs in it and it was running fine. until i ran it outta fuel, bad move on my part. put fresh gas in it and it wasnt running right. i puled the carbs off of it and cleaned them out, i guess it pulled crap out of the bottum of the tank.

so at this point now both carbs a freshly cleaned, flushed the tank out, new plugs in it. put everything back together.....still wont run. it will crank over for a while kinda sputter around for about 3 seconds then die out. somethings not right, both carbs are getting fuel to them, fuel is coming out of the petcock, im sure im forgetting something but im lost here

any ideas here?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Spark, Air, and Fuel.... You're missing one I agree with snlsmith. Double check your coil connections. I had one of mine vibrate loose and cause the cylinder to cut out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
spark on both cylinders, fuel in both carbs, and its getting air, battery did go low on me when i first tried to fire it after i cleaned the carbs but i threw it on the charger and its good now. i feel dumb putting this up here cuz i always do my own stuff on my bikes cars and trucks but this stupid thing has me stumped.

i was hoping she would of fired yesterday so i could try out my fancy new carb synching tool. ;D

when the bike does fire it for the few seconds that it will you can watch the slides (the vacuum operated ones, not the linkage butterflys) jump around, they dont move smoothly, you can push them by hand and they are not binding or anything.

all the vacuum lines are hooked up so theres no vacuum leak going on

im lost....

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Are you absolutely sure you got the pilot jet circuits clean? Meaning you took out all the screw in jets, blew cleaner through all the passageways, and made sure the jets were spotless and clear before you put them back in? Lots of guys take the bowls off and spray everything until nice and clean, but don't physically check every passage...and will have a similar result to yours.

Did you pull the caps off the idle screws so you could remove them? Please do if you haven't. Blow carb cleaner into the idle screw holes until it comes out the bleed and jet. Then you can adjust the idle mixture to your pleasure.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update.....recleaned the carbs, they were spotless, flushed the tank out made sure the petcock was working correctly, put new and better plugs in it (hotter burning plugs). slam it all back together and she fired up.....kinda.

runs like hell spitting and popping but it was actually staying running by itself, only on choke if you touch the throttle it dies right out.

but if you put your hand over the intake she comes to life with no problems so im guessing shes got an airleak going on somewhere, checked it over real quick while it was running. couldnt hear anything but i bombed it with starting fluid and the idle shoots up when spraying around the front carb but i gave up for today. so i guess ill start their tomorrow when i can get 5 minutes to myself

whats the biggest thing to look for when checking for air leaks like where to start. obviously make sure the carb is sitting in the boot and the clamp is tight (already checked that) but what else should i look for?

thanks

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
There is a vacuum port on the front carb similar to the rear carb. The rear carb port has the vacuum line going to the petcock, but the front just has a blind rubber cap. Check to make sure the cap isn't dry rotted and leaking. Where did you spray the starter fluid? You can spray at the rubber intake boot and see if the revs rise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts