Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a Bell RS-1 size Large, and it's a fantastic helmet. However, the foam molding in the very front causes pressure points by my hairline right above my eyes. It looks like there are some shallow channels there for air flow, but if I were to shave down the foam a little bit I don't think it would bother me anymore.

Is this a really bad idea? I'd really like to keep it, but I'm not sure I can if after half an hour I get pressure points on my forehead. Apart from that it seems to fit perfectly everywhere else and be the best fitting helmet I have had to date.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
So I just got a Bell RS-1 size Large, and it's a fantastic helmet. However, the foam molding in the very front causes pressure points by my hairline right above my eyes. It looks like there are some shallow channels there for air flow, but if I were to shave down the foam a little bit I don't think it would bother me anymore.

Is this a really bad idea? I'd really like to keep it, but I'm not sure I can if after half an hour I get pressure points on my forehead. Apart from that it seems to fit perfectly everywhere else and be the best fitting helmet I have had to date.

Thoughts?
I would return it. It doesn't fit.

A proper fitting helmet fits snug around your head, when new it will be very snug. Any pressure points, or "hot spots" are a good sign that helmet does not fit your head. Also, if it seems loose in some areas (for instance snug on the front back and top but loose on the sides), that's another sign it doesn't fit.

Find a store, or many stores that have a variety of helmets and try them on. When you find something that seems to fit, wear it in the store for 20-30 minutes if you have to. Once you have something that fits your head, then look at colors, graphics and/or price.

You only have one brain. And if you ruin it, it's not going to grow back. Get a helmet that fits your head.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was afraid of that. It was a great helmet at a great steal, and fits perfectly everywhere except on the brow. I'm a bit limited as to places I can try on helmets, I haven't been impressed with cyclegear's selection or sales and there's really nowhere else to try on a helmet that I know of around here. Anyone from DE know a good place?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just as a side note, would shaving a couple millimeters of foam from the front compromise the ability of the helmet to do it's job?

Edit: I can't really fit finger in anywhere except along the cheek pads, maybe I could get away with going up to an XL and getting stiffer cheek pads?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
If the helmet is pressing on your forehead, then the helmet shape is rounder than your head which is more of an oval shape. You may not be a long oval head shape, maybe just a intermediate oval, but the helmet does not fit your head shape. This is interesting because I have a long oval head shape and have been told that the RS1 would fit me. I'm guessing not. Reshaping the foam will not help, I know from experience with a Shoei RF800. Moving to a larger sized helmet is not the solution either. As Verbal stated, the helmet has to fit snug all along your head circumference. This helmet doesn't fit you. As the helmet wears in and gets looser, which all helmets will do, it might feel better, but the helmet shape is wrong for your head.

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts

Thoughts?
If it fits to tight on the forehead it is too small for you, simple as that. If you go up a size it may be to big though...We can always change the cheek pads bigger or smaller to get a better fit. Sometimes it is hard to find the right fitment for every head shape. Arai is one of the few that have different interior head shapes like round oval or long oval for example. That being said their helmets are significantly more money. We offer a hassle free exchange policy if interested feel free to shoot me a PM or a phone call, will be happy to help!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the helmet is pressing on your forehead, then the helmet shape is rounder than your head which is more of an oval shape. You may not be a long oval head shape, maybe just a intermediate oval, but the helmet does not fit your head shape. This is interesting because I have a long oval head shape and have been told that the RS1 would fit me. I'm guessing not. Reshaping the foam will not help, I know from experience with a Shoei RF800. Moving to a larger sized helmet is not the solution either. As Verbal stated, the helmet has to fit snug all along your head circumference. This helmet doesn't fit you. As the helmet wears in and gets looser, which all helmets will do, it might feel better, but the helmet shape is wrong for your head.
You're saying the helmet is too round? Because it is more oval than both of my previous helmets by a little bit. I was hoping it would be similar in shape to my Bell Star, but apparently not. It feels like the back and sides of the helmet are the right shape, though still very tight just uniformly distributed, while the front is too much of a pinched oval, cutting across my slightly more round head.

The fact that the helmet is so much tighter all around, ignoring the pressure points, is what makes me consider moving from a L to an XL. But I can't decide whether it's the wrong shape, or the wrong size. Though at least I know it's not worth trying to shave off some foam now.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had a similar issue with the RS-1. Just didnt sit right on the forehead and was pretty tight front and back. I was going off Webbikeworld for sizing and it was leaning on the narrow side but even going up a size didnt really help(M > L). Tried the Vortex but it was too narrow so I ended up with a Bell Star. Which sizing says its more neutral but it fit better than the RS-1 and feels to be in between the Vortex and RS-1 to me. Like mentioned I would return it if you can and look at another helmet.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a similar issue with the RS-1. Just didnt sit right on the forehead and was pretty tight front and back. I was going off Webbikeworld for sizing and it was leaning on the narrow side but even going up a size didnt really help(M > L). Tried the Vortex but it was too narrow so I ended up with a Bell Star. Which sizing says its more neutral but it fit better than the RS-1 and feels to be in between the Vortex and RS-1 to me. Like mentioned I would return it if you can and look at another helmet.
That's a good point, your head sounds similar to mine. I may just throw money to the wind and get a Star if it comes to that, though the RS-1 was supposed to be quieter which I looked forward to...

But in trying to get a feel for whether this just fit differently or whether it was actual painful pressure points I tried on my old Bell Star to discover that it really didn't touch my brow much at all. When wiggling the helmet my scalp would move in all positions except on my forehead, so I'm going to sit around my house wearing the RS-1 for a while to see if my head is just being wimpy and not used to any sort of contact there.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
If it's easy to try the next size, then go for it. I assumed that the helmet fit tight at the forehead and at the back and was loose at the sides. But, you say it's fine everywhere except at the front. Whatever you do, don't shave the liner. You will ruin the helmet for a return or for a used sale. The helmet needs to fit firmly and evenly around your head regardless of how loose or tight the cheek pads fit.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Only you can determine if the helmet properly fits. Having some "pressure points" does not mean that the helmet doesn't fit. No head shape is a perfect fit for a helmet, but a helmet should be "snug" in order to do its job. So..will it hurt to "slightly" mess with the foam...no, not if its very slight. And are you talking "foam" or the EPS liner? Foam only makes the helmet fit...its provides comfort and proper fit...the EPS liner provides the impact protection.

I get pressure points on my forehead. Apart from that it seems to fit perfectly everywhere else and be the best fitting helmet I have had to date.
If you're dealing with minor pressure points that can be adjusted, then do it. Just don't mess with the EPS liner.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Only you can determine if the helmet properly fits. Having some "pressure points" does not mean that the helmet doesn't fit. No head shape is a perfect fit for a helmet, but a helmet should be "snug" in order to do its job. So..will it hurt to "slightly" mess with the foam...no, not if its very slight. And are you talking "foam" or the EPS liner? Foam only makes the helmet fit...its provides comfort and proper fit...the EPS liner provides the impact protection.

If you're dealing with minor pressure points that can be adjusted, then do it. Just don't mess with the EPS liner.
Which is the EPS? I'm talking about the dark Styrofoam right behind the padding/lining in the helmet.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
In most helmets, the EPS is painted black. In the event of an impact, the EPS may show white spider like cracks to indicate that energy absorption has occurred and the foam is supposedly no longer useful in an impact. Not all impacts cause this rendering the EPS useless for another hit. I've only seen the helmet cloth liner and the EPS foam. Not sure what other foam Spacecoast is referring to other than what's in the cheek pads.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Which is the EPS? I'm talking about the dark Styrofoam right behind the padding/lining in the helmet.
The "foam" is the padding, which is covered with the material liner. The dark styrofoam is the EPS componet, which absorbs impact forces. Yes, I would be very careful in doing anything to the EPS liner. If you have say one of two small places that could be adjusted by "shaving" a slight amount of styrofoam, then "I" would probably do that. And I would also make sure that I don't try to compress the EPS since that totally ruins its purpose. Use your own judgement.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like I'll return it :/

Does anyone have experience with the Vortex or the 2010 and later Star?

I'm trying to stay with Bell because I finally want to try their photochromatic shield, but I'm not sure if the star is worth the markup, or if I should just go with the cheaper Vortex and live with a slightly noisy slightly heavy helmet.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
FWIW, the last two HJC's I've gotten did the same thing....pressure on the forehead when new. This lasted maybe 5-6 hours of riding then they broke in (or my head deformed:)) and now both fit great.

We were always told that a new helmet should fit tightly, and maybe be a little uncomfortable for a little while until they break in.....kind of like work boots. If you buy boots that feel great when first trying them on...they'll likely be loose when good and broken in. The proper fit should be almost uncomfortably tight at first and then they'll be perfect when broken in for the long run.

Or not.....everyone is different, so this might not be true for you. But if your head isn't used to pressure where you're feeling it with the new helmet it might be fine when both get accustomed to each other.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FWIW, the last two HJC's I've gotten did the same thing....pressure on the forehead when new. This lasted maybe 5-6 hours of riding then they broke in (or my head deformed:)) and now both fit great.

We were always told that a new helmet should fit tightly, and maybe be a little uncomfortable for a little while until they break in.....kind of like work boots. If you buy boots that feel great when first trying them on...they'll likely be loose when good and broken in. The proper fit should be almost uncomfortably tight at first and then they'll be perfect when broken in for the long run.

Or not.....everyone is different, so this might not be true for you. But if your head isn't used to pressure where you're feeling it with the new helmet it might be fine when both get accustomed to each other.
Yeah I did try to wear it for about 45 minutes and the pressure was really getting to me. Was it that bad for your with your helmets?

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Yeah I did try to wear it for about 45 minutes and the pressure was really getting to me. Was it that bad for your with your helmets?
That sounds like it would be a miserable helmet to wear for a three hour ride. To say nothing about going for a day long ride. I would return it and find something that fits better. But that's me. I want a helmet that fits my head, and I can wear comfortably for riding all day long. Not a helmet that distracts me from what I should be looking at (traffic, road conditions, incoming varmints).

Cycle Gear (here in Norfolk) used to be wonderful for helmet shopping. But I went there a few months ago and the only helmet brands that they had were Bilt and Shoei. They used to have 7 or 8 different brands.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Charnces are good that the real problem is with the material foam liner; that it's probably too thin in the forehead area. This allows the riders head to feel the hard stryofoam EPS material. I've read reviews that Bell helment liners are on the thin side. I like my Scorpion helment...it uses the same shell for S, M and Large sizes...the only thing that changes are the removable material foam liner. Wearing a size M my foam liners are thicker that the size L. Your issue with pressure points may be more associated with the liner being too thin, rather than the styrofoam (EPS) being in the way.

I had a simular issue with an older helmet as the non-removalble liner foam aged. Since the liner was not replacable, I had to toss the helmet.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Charnces are good that the real problem is with the material foam liner; that it's probably too thin in the forehead area. This allows the riders head to feel the hard stryofoam EPS material. I've read reviews that Bell helment liners are on the thin side. I like my Scorpion helment...it uses the same shell for S, M and Large sizes...the only thing that changes are the removable material foam liner. Wearing a size M my foam liners are thicker that the size L. Your issue with pressure points may be more associated with the liner being too thin, rather than the styrofoam (EPS) being in the way.

I had a simular issue with an older helmet as the non-removalble liner foam aged. Since the liner was not replacable, I had to toss the helmet.
You don't think that maybe, just maybe, the shape of the inside of that helmet doesn't match the shape of his head?

That's what I want in a helmet. One that matches the shape of my awkward elephant man shaped head. I'm not going to whittle the inside of a helmet to make it fit my head. I will try on many many helmets before I purchase one. Yes, I would like to find a super affordable helmet that fits my head like it was designed on my head. But I have yet to find that.

The helmet that I wear now is a Shoei RF1000. It fits really well. My old helmet is a Shoei TZR. It fits even better than the RF1000. Unfortunately, when Shoei put out their new helmets, they changed the shape of the RF1100, and it doesn't fit my head. It seems rounder, like there is more space on the sides of my head. :(

1 - 20 of 35 Posts