Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GF wanted to get me a new helmet for Xmas.... she got me a blue AC-11 which I really appreciated but if you've ever seen my bike and/or gear you'd scratch your head as to why she got blue ??? 

After I hit my head against the curb at 45MPH a couple months ago with my CL-14 I've really come to appreciate and trust them.  There were a few others I liked but I think the CL-SP Raven is a great looking helmet with SNELL 2005 certification.  I expect it will fit great like all the other HJC's I've owned and have minimal wind noise.  I'm also looking forward to finally having a helmet that matches the rest of my gear and bike  ;)

EDIT: I also plan to cover all the uber-tacky HJC logos with carbon fiber vinyl tape ;D

My jacket....

My Boots....

My Bike...

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
you can get some reflective tape from tapeworks to cover the logos. i know new jersey requires reflective patches on your helmet, though i've never seem them actually check

·
Registered
187 Posts
personally i think the hjc helmets are a quality helmet with a very affordable price. I haven't smashed one into a curb but I have put one into a windshield at 40mph with my head in it. It held up magnificantly

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
I'm waiting on the new AC-12 Axis to come out this winter/spring.

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
Donnie, we sell HJC at work. I can get you one for my discount plus shipping.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
A Snell rated helmet?!?!? Son don't you read nuttin?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't care what the MC article says...I'll be damned if I'm buying a $50 pos helmet just because it isn't Snell.  It's not worth putting up with the cheap quality, lack of ventilation, multiple shell shapes and sizes instead of 1 size fits all, etc.  People crash in snell helmets every day and are fine.  Now if Arai/Shoei/Scorpion/HJC/etc. start making non-snell versions then I'll look at it.  Until then...no way. 

Donnie - Is that the JR armor vest thing?  Is it abrasion resistent too?  I thought it was meant to be worn under a regular non armored mc jacket? :p

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks fella's...

Orangilly: I returned the blue one.

Arimichael: My boddy got me the helmet at cost (he's a reseller).

Josh: Reflective tape would only allow the cops to see me more easily.

Dubbs: What the hell are you talking about?

beckman: I agree completely. So..... how'd you do a face plant into the windshield? You can't just leave that one hanging ;D

haseltonk: I also agree, CCS race org requires at least Snell 2000 cert.... so that's my minimum. The HJC CL-SP is Snell 2005.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I like the black can, and those are some SWEEEET classic alpinestars boots my friend.(from when they made them with nice leather)

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Morpheous said:
I like the black can, and those are some SWEEEET classic alpinestars boots my friend.(from when they made them with nice leather)
Thanks. Those are just a pic I found on google though mine are the same (just a little more beat up ;D ). I got them off a friend about 12 or 13 years ago and they were older than dirt then. They're the best $20 I ever spent ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
donniej said:
Thanks fella's...

Orangilly: I returned the blue one.

Arimichael: My boddy got me the helmet at cost (he's a reseller).

Josh: Reflective tape would only allow the cops to see me more easily.

beckman: I agree completely. So..... how'd you do a face plant into the windshield? You can't just leave that one hanging ;D

haseltonk: I also agree, CCS race org requires at least Snell 2000 cert.... so that's my minimum. The HJC CL-SP is Snell 2005.
a deaf mute, yes, a deaf mute turned through a red light and t-boned me, i flipped over the hood and bounced off the windshield about 50 ft, i landed on my feet somehow. You could look in the windshield and see where exactly my heels, butt, shoulders and head hit. My face shield on the hjc flew off when i hit the windshield but other than that the helmet worked like a champ. the next morning was the worst soreness ever, it took me well over an hour to get out of bed...but my head was fine

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
becman said:
a deaf mute, yes, a deaf mute turned through a red light and t-boned me, i flipped over the hood and bounced off the windshield about 50 ft, i landed on my feet somehow.  You could look in the windshield and see where exactly my heels, butt, shoulders and head hit.  My face shield on the hjc flew off when i hit the windshield but other than that the helmet worked like a champ.  the next morning was the worst soreness ever, it took me well over an hour to get out of bed...but my head was fine
Wow... good story!
My incident was less interesting.  I hit wet trolly tracks and the front end of my scooter washed out.  I slid into a curb head first.  The impact was on the side, just behind the right side visor latch stuff.  The visor came off and though the latch was destroyed on that side I still got it to hold for the ride home. 
Most scooterists don't wear a full face helmet, I'm glad I do  ;D

See link for the story...
http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=50453.0

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MagpieTear said:
I'm most certain most scooter owners don't ride like you either...  ;D
When you only have 10HP there's only one way you can ride..... :-[ ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
haseltonk said:
I don't care what the MC article says...I'll be damned if I'm buying a $50 pos helmet just because it isn't Snell.  It's not worth putting up with the cheap quality, lack of ventilation, multiple shell shapes and sizes instead of 1 size fits all, etc.  People crash in snell helmets every day and are fine.  Now if Arai/Shoei/Scorpion/HJC/etc. start making non-snell versions then I'll look at it.  Until then...no way. 

Donnie - Is that the JR armor vest thing?  Is it abrasion resistent too?  I thought it was meant to be worn under a regular non armored mc jacket? :p
ok lets break this down a bit.
"I don't care what the MC article says"
you don't care what the article says? i mean its up to you but their opinion and data  is based on actual studies. what's your's based on?

"I'll be damned if I'm buying a $50 pos helmet just because it isn't Snell."
apparently its not a 50 POS helmet. a POS helmet would not protect you better than higher priced ones. so I don't see how its a POS

"It's not worth putting up with the cheap quality"
again, its not cheap quality. the only complaint i've heard about that helmet is there is a bit more wind noise. if that means more protection though, i'd rather put up with that.

"People crash in snell helmets every day and are fine."
Do i really have to say anything about this statement? That like a person riding without a helmet at all saying that crash every day without helmets and are fine. what kind of arguement is that?

"Now if Arai/Shoei/Scorpion/HJC/etc. start making non-snell versions then I'll look at it"
ok so now its clear. you shop by brand name and what the ads tell you to buy. i don't wanna sound like a dick, but dude did you actualy read the article?

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
donniej said:
its an article thats been causing a shitstorm. it was in Motorcyclist Magazine (I can let you read it, its a must see). they test a lot of helmets and shatter many myths about what actualy protects you and how. The article caused a lot of controversy and 2 helmet companies (including Shoei) pulled their ads from the magazine and started publishing BS on their websites trying to defend themselves. Snell did the same thing but their attempts were just as bad.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
those boots are hot!

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
dubss said:
i don't wanna sound like a dick, but dude did you actualy read the article?
I've read the article, both of them and yes you are sounding like a dick.

:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts