Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, i've ordered a new headlight for my Sv650, and when i have the low beam on, the 15miliamp fuse is okay. But as soon as i turn on the high beam, the 15miliamp fuse for the headlight-hi goes out.

Now with this headlight, i am only able to have either the low beam on or the highbeam, i cannot get both to come on at the same time.

Once i replaced the headlight-hi beam fuse with a 20miliamp one, the high beam works and the low beam works.

I am concerned with the 20miliamp fuse being in place for the 15miliamp one. Will it damage my electrical wiring/system? Or is it okay to run the 20miliamp fuse instead of the 15miliamp without concern?

-Thanks

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
sounds like a wiring issue... ya got a short somewhere...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
its one of these headlights:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0390832354&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT&viewitem=

Its got a green wire, a blue wire and a white wire. Along with a brown one that is seperate.

From my stock headlight, we have a white wire, a thick black one and a yellow one.

The white is the low beam, the black is the power, and the yellow is the high beam.

I connected the green with the black (powers)
I connected the white with the white (lows)
I connected the Blue with the yellow (highs)

If its a short, why would a 20 fuse work and not the 15??

Here is the diagram:

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
What does the brown hook to on the light? When you switch to high beam only one bulb is lighting, right?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
low beam left bulb lights up, high beam the right one lights up but only if i have a 20amp fuse instead of the 15.

When i turned on the high beam, the 15amp fuse kept blowing.

The brown wire is unused. There are no more connections from the original headlight. it comes out of the bottom of the high beam light.

*** I was informed by seller, that the brown wire is a "position light" and comes on when the bike is turned on.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Switch the green and white wires from the new light.
White from light to black on plug.
Green from light to white on plug.

·
Registered
467 Posts
quick check is to just take a multimeter and test your plug. poke each wire with just the low beams on, then with the high beams on. the wire that reads voltage with just the low on is the low, the wire that reads voltage with just the highs on is the high, if one of them reads voltage with the switch in both positions it is a constant source, and odds are if one of them does not read voltage in either it is a ground. then of course match up appropriately with the manufacturers specifications on the light.

what do they mean by position light?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the way i checked it was, i guessed green was power because it came out of both lights.
Then i soldered green with the black.
Then turned on the bike, touched the low beam wire with the white, and it worked.
Then touched high beam wire with the blue, worked.

But when all wires where connected to their places, the high beam kept blowing 15amp fuse.

·
Registered
467 Posts
im confused as to where the ground is though...

your stock plug should have a power to low power to high and ground i thought...

as i recall yellow was low, white was high and black was ground

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
My stock plug is one just like in the picture. Its got three wires going into it, a thick black one, a white and a yellow.

here is an updated picture of how i have it connected.

From your post, it seems like i have my low and high beam wires mixed up.

i have the white connected to white, and yellow to blue.

the green i'll assume is ground which is the black wire.

·
Registered
467 Posts
My stock plug is one just like in the picture. Its got three wires going into it, a thick black one, a white and a yellow.

here is an updated picture of how i have it connected.

From your post, it seems like i have my low and high beam wires mixed up.

i have the white connected to white, and yellow to blue.

the green i'll assume is ground which is the black wire.
if your high bulb lights when you turn your highs on you have it right, im only working off memory here... im still curious of the brown wire and what it truly does... perhaps you could scan the manufacturers diagram for the wiring or directions... something to help us realize what the assembly is looking for as far as input and/or signals

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the high bulb only lights if i switch out the 15amp fuse with a 20amp.

The high blows the 15amp fuse. The headlight came only with mounting brackets. no instructions.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
If the green goes to both bulbs, then you have it wired right. Try switching the white and blue wires and see if the fuse starts blowing when the switch is on low beam instead of high beam. If so then the high beam bulb is drawing more tha 15 amps for some reason. You have any more fuses left? :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah got a few left. My concern was if with a 20amp fuse will it cause problems if the high's left on too long?

I'll switch the white and blue as soon as i get the headlight off again. (got it packed up for riding atm, hence my mspaint skillz)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts