Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new handlebar today now the bike won't start. So I checked everything and it is the clutch that is the problem. (I took the grip off and tried and it will start.)

Now this is what I don't understand.
With clutch pulled in and in neutral it will roll.
With the clutch let out and in neutral it will roll.
With it in gear the bike won't roll with or without the clutch pulled in.

So I did some searching here and found the "clutch mantra". So I go about it that way and to the best that I could understand adjust everything as mentioned in the mantra. No dice, the bike still won't roll with the clutch pulled in and in gear. (Maybe I'm adjusting it wrong)

"Clutch Mantra"
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=54588

I've been playing with the cables for a few hours and can't really get it back to how it was before the change.

Oil was just changed about 100 miles prior to this. So no problems with that.

From what I understand I loosen the nut then take a screwdriver and go counterclockwise till it is loose, then I go clockwise until I feel it tighten up and proceed 1/4 turn more then tighten the nut back up and adjust the slack in the cables.

It feels like there isn't a lot of slack after I tighten the nut back up. The clutch lever feels pretty tight right after.

Is this little lip supposed to go all the way to the edge or is there supposed to be space in-between with the clutch pulled in?

Thanks in advance, ~Blinker

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Loosen the cables first. Then loosen the lock nut, back out the screw (counterclockwise) a bit to make sure it isn't making contact. Now screw in until you feel it make contact (clockwise). Now back it out 1/4 turn (counterclockwise). You want just a little clearance there.

Now adjust cables for 1/2" free play at the lever. The clutch has a fair amount of drag so the bike won't roll free with the transmission in gear and the lever pulled. That's normal.

None of that has anything to do with the bike not starting, but it is important to get it right.

Now go back to the clutch perch. On the front of the perch there should be a small wire connected to the perch at the lever pivot. That's the clutch safety switch. My bet is that the connector is not properly plugged into the switch.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was doing wrong. I was turning the screw a 1/4 turn more clockwise.

The not starting issue was because I had adjusted the clutch lever to a more downward angle, and I guess it wasn't hitting the switch when pulled in all the way. That's why it would start with the grip off, so I readjusted it more up and it's working fine now.

Thanks Andy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts