Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DOH! I dropped my bike in the garage teh other night and bent the handlebar about an 1/8th of an inch on one side. I need new bars. The stock position is pretty good, but if I were to pick a new set I'd like to keep the same height or maybe a tiny bit lower, and forward maybe an inch. Anyone have any suggestions?

BTW, naked K3.

Not me, the bike.


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
suburban machinery makes really awesome bars. im pretty sure that they are lower and more forward then you are looking for but you should check them out anyway. the website is in the links section.
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did check them out earlier - too low like you said. Thanks though - appreciate the input!
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I have the solution, and I don't see that anyone else has tried or looked into this...
Put the SV1000 K3 handlebar on the 650.
It's about 1/2" shorter and 1 1/2" forward by what I could gather.

Looking for any advice or 'gotchas' before I commit. Any comments appreciated!
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a bit wide - do you know if the stock cables are long enough?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
Should be, I have never heard of anyone changing them to use the Renthal. I think you just drill your holes and put all your old stuff on the new bars and you're good to go. You could ask the guys at Renthal, they should be able to answer that question before you shell out the dough. ;)

Good luck, let us know how it turns out. I want pics!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
I'm pretty sure Avid put Renthal's on his bike and had to get new cables and junk. I can't remember for sure though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,244 Posts
Evan said:
I'm pretty sure Avid put Renthal's on his bike and had to get new cables and junk. I can't remember for sure though.
IIRC, he went from clip-ons to the renthal, then back. For that big of a change, yeah, he probably had to change his cables, but for a naked with "regular" bars, you shouldn't need to change anything to go to other similar bars. Even if they are wider.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,737 Posts
if you want a cheap solution get moose racing dirt bike bars. every thing fits fine and they are any where from 12-20 bux.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Have you thought about just bending back your old bars? You just need to take the grip and switches off of the bent side, slide a three foot long or so length of pipe over the end of the bar, and bend it to where it used to be.

You'll probably want a friend to make sure the bike stays upright while you do this. It's a lot cheaper than new bars, though.
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thinmac said:
Have you thought about just bending back your old bars? You just need to take the grip and switches off of the bent side, slide a three foot long or so length of pipe over the end of the bar, and bend it to where it used to be.

You'll probably want a friend to make sure the bike stays upright while you do this. It's a lot cheaper than new bars, though.
Since they're so 'funny shaped' I thought I might have a tough time figuring out which direction it was actually bent. I could go by distance from the tank, but that's only one direction. There's about 90degrees of possible direction it could've went.

After a lot more web searching and checking sizes, the SV1000 bars look like the closest to what I wanted, so I went ahead and ordered them. The curvature of the stock bars was very comfortable for me - it was just a little position adjustment I was looking for. Never know how it's going to feel until you actually get on it, so we shall see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Hey, please let me know how it goes! It might be spring before I can afford to do it, but I'd love to get just a little bit of the sweep out of mine.
Thanks
owl

Oooh nevermind. I saw the other thread. Sorry.

Hey, I wonder if I could get the risers and put the SM bars on. LOL nevermind. :)
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Owl said:
Hey, please let me know how it goes! It might be spring before I can afford to do it, but I'd love to get just a little bit of the sweep out of mine.
Thanks
owl

Oooh nevermind. I saw the other thread. Sorry.

Hey, I wonder if I could get the risers and put the SM bars on.  LOL nevermind. :)
I should've put a link to that in here. Go here for the results.
http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=48262.0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
I realize they aren't cheap, but I've got the Convertibars on my naked K5 and I'm very pleased with them. I've got them pulled up about an inch higher than the stock bars, and back about an inch as well, so around-town riding allows me to sit up pretty straight. However, I can still push them down and forward in a matter of minutes for more "spirited" riding in the country twisties. They probably have about 6" of up-down adjustability, and 4" forward-backward. I'll try to attach a pic with them all the way up here...

 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top