Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys and gals I was wondering if any of you could give me some tips so I don't end up screwing this up. I bought some clubmans for the SV and I will need to drill some holes in them for the controls. Can any of you give me some advice on how not to mess this up? Where to measure, techniques so I don't end up screwing them up, or any other useful information. Any help would be appreciated this will be the first time I drill holes in something round:eek:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm never thought about just cutting the tabs off and using tape. I will figure it out when they get here. Good call on the center punch though. I do have a drill press so that should make it a tad easier. Pics as soon as it is done.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
I did a test fit of everything first, then marked where I wanted to drill the holes with a marker. Bolted the bars down to the clamps and drilled baby drilled (didn't have a punch at the time).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really just don't want to screw up and put the holes so that they don't line up evenly. Just being off a little bit would bother me, I am pretty anal. Possibly slightly OCD.

·
Registered
308 Posts
having just put new bars on myself, id have to say its going to be a lot easier to just grind the tabs off the controls. dremel with a sandpaper wheel works great. i didnt use tape or anything and the controls are staying put just with being screwed on.

also i would like to think that bars without holes drilled in them would have a slight strength advantage over un drilled bars. probably insignificant but it could make a difference.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just have thoughts of them slipping when I am riding and then I freak out and end up in a ball of flames sliding threw an intersection. All while my grandma is watching giving me the bird.

Sorry way to much coffee this morning :ready:

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Okay....I didn't drill holes either and I'm really glad that I didn't. It took a while for me to find the "final" comfortable position for riding....which means that I would have had to drill several times.
I would just say...don't drill to much.....I ended up putting a little eletrical tape under the clutch side to keep her in position.

This is what mind ended up looking like:

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
2 questions...

What did you do with all the extra clutch cable? Mine was bending pretty hard with the drag bar on, and it made it hard to pull, I can't imagine it with the clubmans.

Also, What about your throttle controls thing? No tape? Mine rotated back as soon as I went WOT without tape.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
2 questions...

What did you do with all the extra clutch cable? Mine was bending pretty hard with the drag bar on, and it made it hard to pull, I can't imagine it with the clubmans.

Also, What about your throttle controls thing? No tape? Mine rotated back as soon as I went WOT without tape.
Hmmm...I didn't have to much extra clutch cable? Didn't seem to be an issue for me. The clubmans worked really well for me.....quick swap. I've actually been back and forth between the stock and clubmans about 3-4 times since....without any issues. Same grips, etc.

I just used a little electrical tape under the left side controls because, I'm guessing, I took a little to much off when I ground down the nipple. :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts