Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've owned my 2007 SV1S(T) for about two and half years now, and have put some 17k miles on in that time. I've got my bike set up for sport touring, and am really digging it. I've finally got it to a point where I think I might be "done" with major mods/farkles (yeah right ;D). Not necessarily the most comfortable bike for super-long hauls, but at the weight and price point, I don't think this bike can be beat for SPORT-touring.

Jardine pipes; frame, bar, exhaust, fork, and axle sliders; Stebel horn; PC-8 aux fuse box; KN airfilter and snorklectomy; smart TRE mod; USB and cigarette adaptors; RAM phone mount; mirror extenders; LED running lights; brake light modulator; MRA VarioTouringScreen; MFW Vario passenger peg extenders; Heli bars; Sargent seat; Alaska Leather sheepskin butt pad; SW Motech quick-lock pannier racks and top rack; Givi E45 panniers... I think that about covers it. :lmao:

Anyone else in the New England area (central CT here)?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey craptrap,
I've got an '07 that I've been using for sport touring as well with many of the same farkles as you have. Helif bars, mirror extenders, Buell peg modifications, K & N filter with snorkel mods, Suzuki gel seat, Suzuki touring windscreen, 12 volt plug etc. I've been using soft luggage for the last three years but I'm tired of having to bungee everything on everyday. My buddies are always waiting on me. I'd like to put some hard luggage on and I'm just about to pull the trigger on the SW Motech Quick-Lock siderack and the Alu-rack top rack option. I want to use Givi/Kappa E70 topcase with the E21 Cruiser sidecases.
What do you think of the Quick-Lock side racks? Also I've removed the ugly Suzuki rear fender and installed the shorter Suzuki fender. Do you think this will work with the Quick-Lock? I still have the long fender so I could use it still but I'd prefer not have to put it back on.
I've also been thinking about changing the seat and the windscreen. The gel seat is good for a few hours but after a couple of days of long rides my butt starts to burn. Does that sheepskin really make a difference? What does it look like on the bike?
And finally how well does that vario screen work? I've been eyeing one of those for a while. I'd like to get most ofthe wind to go right over my head.

Thanks,

Michael
Calgary, Canada

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
What do you think of the Quick-Lock side racks? Also I've removed the ugly Suzuki rear fender and installed the shorter Suzuki fender. Do you think this will work with the Quick-Lock? I still have the long fender so I could use it still but I'd prefer not have to put it back on.
Michael, I highly recommend the Quick-Locks. They can come off in 60 seconds with a little practice, and the convenience of having waterproof locking trunks on the bike for groceries, travel, etc can not be understated. The side racks and Givis even held up well after a couple of 0mph tip-overs. Regarding the fender, the QL's have a rear bracket that attaches to the license plate bracket of the stock fender. You can get an idea of what I mean from these pics:

I wouldn't say having this bracket attached to the fender is absolutely necessary, since you could probably just attach it between the racks by itself, but you would lose some stability in the racks by not using it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've also been thinking about changing the seat and the windscreen. The gel seat is good for a few hours but after a couple of days of long rides my butt starts to burn. Does that sheepskin really make a difference? What does it look like on the bike?
And finally how well does that vario screen work? I've been eyeing one of those for a while. I'd like to get most ofthe wind to go right over my head.
The sheep looks like this (on a Sargent seat):

It does add some comfort, but not nearly as much as upgrading from the stock SV seat. It's a much cheaper upgrade than an airhawk though.

The vario screen works pretty well. With the variable lip at its highest setting, it tends to buffet for me above 75mph or so. I have to set it down one or two clicks to get smooth air flow, which hits me in the helmet (I'm 5'9). Depending on your height and riding position, YMMV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts