Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I live about 20 miles outside of Portland Oregon in a town called Scappoose. I am a totally green rider with my bike history consisting of a trip around the block twice on my best friends Hayabusa. He has been working me for over a year trying get me on a bike and suggested the SV650 as the perfect newbie bike.

I am planning on looking into the MSF riding program to learn the basics and then look more seriously into getting my first bike. He also suggested giving up my size stats to see if you all think the SV is a good fit for me. I am as they say a husky dude at about 6 foot 3 and 315 pounds (working on the last part), and have a pretty big wingspan. The only complaint I have seen consistently about the SV with new riders is the position being a bit extreme, but I think my size may help me out there.

I am looking for a comfortable but fast/capable bike that is easy to learn and get better on, but that I will still love when I am a regular. Any help suggestion would be much appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
24 Posts
+1 on the MSF, I took it even though I'd ridden street bikes before. It presented some information that I'm glad I didn't have to learn about first hand, and was in general kinda fun. Plus you get a discount on insurance, which is a bonus!

The SV is probably good for your frame. I'm 6' 2.5" and 259lbs, with a fairly large wingspan. Sitting on a true sport bike like a GSX-R, my head seemed to be out over the front wheel somewhere, I had to look -straight down- to see the speedo. On the SV everything is a little further of a reach, it fits perfectly and was in general a comfortable ride. Still iffy on the seat, it's a little hard but shaped pretty good, hopefully it'll break in some more once I get the bike back.

It's not going to have the crazy power the Busa has, but it'll make you grin. It's actually a little deceptive as to how much power it actually has, do to it's linear power band. It just keeps building power until your doing 80 in a 40mph zone, there is no sudden rush of speed, just steady thrust. It's also fairly forgiving as to what gear it's in, it'll still accelerate.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am a pretty small guy so I can't give advice about the size issue, but as far as the MSF course can. It is a good course a little slow and I am sure you will get tired of it quick, but it is very good for new riders they do the whole crawl before you walk, walk before you run bit which takes a while but works out well. I am active duty military and i had to take that course and a sport bike course. I would suggest that you take that course as well it only is one day long but it would be very benificial to you.

Good luck and ride safe man.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the posts guys! I went and looked at the SV this last weekend and fell in love. Fit is perfect and I am impressed with the quality. I have heard of guys replacing the seat with a gel guy, and it is supposed to improve it a ton. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
you are big for the bike for sure

·
Registered
88 Posts
Welcome.
If you get an SV650--don't know about the 1K--it will need a suspension upgrade, right off the bat.

Finish the course, get endorsed and test ride until you find your fit. It's fun to shop for bikes and no one in their right mind will let you test ride before the endorsement. I haven't been on enough bikes built after the 90's to make suggestions to an alternative, but many here have and they'll chime in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts