Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw that the new GSXRs use a radial master cylinder which also has a bleeder. I'm currently using SRAD 4pot calipers. Does anyone know if I can use the new GSXR radial mc?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Bore and stroke

If you can check that the bore is the same and the effective stroke (how much the piston moves when you pull the lever) you should notice no difference. In general the bore is the most important dimension.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was kinda hoping that someone had already checked that... :)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
the new radial master cylinders on the gsxr's are junk. don't change to one. they fade badly. one of the older ones is better, but i dont think they were great either. i like the nissin aftermarket one you can get through LP or Parts Unlimited the best.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Kris87 said:
the new radial master cylinders on the gsxr's are junk. don't change to one. they fade badly. one of the older ones is better, but i dont think they were great either. i like the nissin aftermarket one you can get through LP or Parts Unlimited the best.
I've heard the same. My 04 GSXR600 front end came with the radial MC, but I ended up putting on a 04 GSXR1K (conventional) MC due to greater availability of spare levers. Just when I was regretting not going with the radials, some folks told me about the fade issue on them. So, for now I'm happy with the conventional MC.

Of course, if you have the dough, go for the Brembo radial MC..... :p

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jarelj said:
Brembo.... you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner... 8)
Oh, I'll know why I didn't do it sooner, the money :D .

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kris87 said:
Do you have a part number by any chance?

·
Registered
93 Posts
quasi888 said:
Kris87 said:
I've heard the same. My 04 GSXR600 front end came with the radial MC, but I ended up putting on a 04 GSXR1K (conventional) MC due to greater availability of spare levers. Just when I was regretting not going with the radials, some folks told me about the fade issue on them. So, for now I'm happy with the conventional MC.

Of course, if you have the dough, go for the Brembo radial MC..... :p
I think LP is now also making a $30 fold up lever for the Brembo's, not sure about the other radials though. Bit cheaper than the $90->$100 that a real Brembo one goes for.

Andy

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Huh?!

How exactly does a master cylinder fade? Are you saying it sucks in air because of poor refill circuit/too-strong return spring? Rapid wear out?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Re: Huh?!

andyauger said:
How exactly does a master cylinder fade? Are you saying it sucks in air because of poor refill circuit/too-strong return spring? Rapid wear out?
you're the engineer, i'm just a racer. i describe what i know from feel.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
I've sort of noticed this on my 04 gsxr radial mc with 02 gsxr forks/brakes... it doesnt feel like fade though, its like the feel of the lever just randomly changes, it doesnt neccessarily happen after a lot of braking, some days when i start off from home in the morning the thing is squishy as hell, like i can pull it all the way to the grip and then sometimes its very firm.. its just completely random... and its bled properly and lever set to furthest out setting.

I guess I need to look into a different mc set up for my bike :?

brembo, nissin? previous gen gsxr? ..

·
Registered
505 Posts
wonderjosh said:

I don't know how they do it, I'm not an engineer either, but from my experience the Brembo works better than the rest. Find a used one off of a Duc or just spring for a new one, you won't be sorry, you'll feel like Rossi (you WON'T be Rossi, but you'll feel like it....). :wink:

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
jarelj said:
wonderjosh said:

I don't know how they do it, I'm not an engineer either, but from my experience the Brembo works better than the rest. Find a used one off of a Duc or just spring for a new one, you won't be sorry, you'll feel like Rossi (you WON'T be Rossi, but you'll feel like it....). :wink:
steal one from Clayton please :D

just put a stock mc and paint the lever black, he wont notice the difference.. hes old. 8)

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
$200-250

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, what's the next best thing to a Brembo then?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
zoltan said:
So, what's the next best thing to a Brembo then?
some of the first gen gsxr had pretty good tokico m/c. but the nissin ones from some hondas were better. the aftermarket nissin one you can buy is the best i've used w/o having to get a brembo.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Try to find a used RC-51 unit, we've had good luck with them. Or look for a used Brembo off of a Ducati, they're not $200.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts