Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got sum new grips in today and I was reading the instructions...After taking off the stock grips, I gotta clean off all the glue and gunk with rubbing alcohol...then all i apparently have to do is wash the insides of the new grips and slide them onto the bar without twisting...then wait 120minutes before using...I guess the water/rubbing alcohol sets off the adhesive inside the grips??? How did your custom grips go onto the bars??? Also, how hard is it to remove the stock ones???

N

·
0 Posts
Just cut the old ones off with a razor blade.

There's no adhesive inside the grips; the alcohol is supposed to evaporate.

I use grip glue. It's cheap and it works, and I hate doing things twice.

:)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I just use aquanet. :)

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
+1 on the grip glue....AND, squirting carb cleaner under the grip works as well. Either way, you should do the procedure after you have used your bike for the day so it can dry over night.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I lerned a trick from Troy, via his bike dealer. Use compressed air to get the old grips off, no muss, no fuss, no cutting. Best thing is, you can put them back on if needed.

·
Registered
514 Posts
DougZ said:
I lerned a trick from Troy, via his bike dealer. Use compressed air to get the old grips off, no muss, no fuss, no cutting. Best thing is, you can put them back on if needed.
I was just going to suggest that.

Another good trick is an awl or small screwdriver. Lube it up, jam it between the bar and grip, and circle the bar. Then it will just pull right off.

I use 3M Super77 to glue my grips on.

Or wire them on, but thats a little ghetto for a street bike.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
{PMS}fishy said:
I was just going to suggest that.

Another good trick is an awl or small screwdriver. Lube it up, jam it between the bar and grip, and circle the bar. Then it will just pull right off.

I use 3M Super77 to glue my grips on.

Or wire them on, but thats a little ghetto for a street bike.
ahhh, I used safety wire to put my stockers back on when my progrips didn't fit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
On a side note, is it possible to put new end caps on there to replace the black ones? I'd like to get a set of chrome ones cuz I dumped the bike and it scratched the current ones all up.

N

·
0 Posts
Yes. There's about a billion different types, starting from $9. Your dealer probably has some or you can get 'em from Dennis Kirk, Chapparal, Oneida, Ron Ayers...ad infinitum...

BTW, the bar's dia. is 7/8".

:)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Honda grip glue is the best. They actually give you enough product so that you can apply it liberally. Fire that on the bars, shoot a bit of contact cleaner into the grip, and fire it on.

·
Registered
200 Posts
DougZ said:
I just did this myself grip off and on in about 1 minute. I didn't use any glue on the new one. Seems to stick pretty well.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I keep hearing this trick about compressed air...anyone care to elaborate on that??? Do I just take like a cpmputer cleaner can of compressed air, then stick the lead into one end or something???

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
shekshishekki said:
So I keep hearing this trick about compressed air...anyone care to elaborate on that??? Do I just take like a cpmputer cleaner can of compressed air, then stick the lead into one end or something???
LOL, no....you need an air compressor. You sick the end of the nozzle of "blower" attachment under the end of the grip, past the little outside lip thing. You blow in the air, and the grips swells up a bit, making it easy to pull off. Works for putting them on too. I like 87 psi.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
awwww so no $0.99 cent can of computer duster??? ahahahah dammit guess I'm gonna have to do it the ghetto way and use a screwdriver...know the hot weather I'll probably get pissed off and go at it with a razor in under 10 minutes :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts