Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! Purchased an '09 Gladius 650 last night. Anything I should know about the bike, any issues I should be aware of and deal with up front?

thanks!
teri

·
Registered
732 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. And welcome!

It's a great bike and a blast to ride.

No real issues AFAIK. I had a clutch cable snap on my 09, and so have a couple of others so you might want to have a quick look under the rubber boot on the clutch lever to see if there's any fraying. It's not that common a problem so you're probably OK.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi Everyone! Purchased an '09 Gladius 650 last night. Anything I should know about the bike, any issues I should be aware of and deal with up front?

thanks!
teri
congrats. you are going to love it.

If you do nothing else. Do these two things
1. Start looking for a new seat
2. upgrade the rear shock to a gsxr shock
3. If you ignored 1. Order a new ass.

·
Registered
87 Posts
welcome!

I got my gladius the last week of April, so pretty new here myself. I have put about 1000 miles on it, and I love it! Spend some time looking around at old posts on here and you will learn A LOT; there is a ton of collective knowledge on here.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome to the site Teri.

The only known issue with them (that I'm aware of) is there is a recall on the regulator. It was issued last summer so your bike may have already had it replaced, but it may be worth checking into.

Any pics of the new ride?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Seems like some Gladius came with the TPS out of adjustment.

Other than what others said above, the bike is pretty much turn key and go kind of bike.

I would like to add the aftermarket front brake pads are great improvement over stock. I'm bias to Vesrah pads.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. I am sure you will enjoy it.

I've had mine for just over a year now and haven't had too many issues except suspension, and so I too replaced the stock rear shock with GSXR.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Trobairitz, what was the issue with the stock rear shock that you had to replace it? I've seen quite a few posts in reference to replacing the rear shock with GSXR but still don't understand why and why that one?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Trobairitz, what was the issue with the stock rear shock that you had to replace it? I've seen quite a few posts in reference to replacing the rear shock with GSXR but still don't understand why and why that one?
The why 'that GSXR shock' is because it is a bolt in replacement. It fits without any cutting or anything - it just takes a longer bolt.

The what 'issues' is that the stock shock did not have the adjustments that I wanted to make. You can adjust for preload and that was about it on the stock shock whereas the GSXR is completely adjustable (high speed and low speed compression, etc) and has the reservoir. it is an all around better shock. The bike used to about pitch me off the seat when going over bumps. Last year I followed hubby down chip sealed forestry roads high over mountain passes and it was harsh. We replaced the shock a month or so ago and have it fairly dialed in now. I can still pretty much feel all of the bumps in the road, but it doesn't buck me out of the saddle going over a big one.

I may have noticed it because of my weight too. I am 5'8" and 143 lbs and the stock shock didn't seem to move much with me on it. I think it comes stock for their test riders weighing about 180 lbs or so.

I hear reports that if you are a bit more aggressive in the corners it handles way better. I am not a speed racer, but I too notice that it seems more planted in the corners now.

Hope that helps. Best to read the thread I linked below start to finish. It is a long one but a wealth of information and explanations. I've read it a few times and have even printed some diagrams/photos.

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114250

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the input! The bike's been garaged for the past two years, so I'm guessing the regulator recall was not handled. The rear shock idea makes sense too. Here's a pic of the new ride :eek:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ah remember when my bike looked like that!

Anyways I ride on the edge of my tires through turns. We have alot of huge sweeping turns and twists around here. I can tell you from experience that the $35 I spend on the GXSR shock was absolutely worth every single penny. I love the way it handles bumps and turns now. Feels a little more planted on the road.

I would recommend frame sliders to keep it safe incase of a spill. It'd be $80 you wish you spend if you don't get them and needed them.

I have not had a single issue with my bike. This is my second summer with it and it's awesome. I'm also running out of stuff to mod. LoL.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm hearing a lot about changing the rear shock. Any resources where I can check one out or possibly purchase? What number, too. I'm a beginner rider (just did the class and got my endorsement in April). My boyfriend's an experienced rider and we're trying to figure out if there's anything we need to do! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts